newer grill in an older truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kris_kirwan

Reaction score
i have a 90 GMC K2500 and was thinking of putting in a grill out of a 94 on it. how much hassel would it be? also would the headlights from my truck work with the newer grill?

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
assuming you dont have the wt front end you need a grille bumper fillers and corner lights easy swap

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Bumper fillers are not required, I left it off mine. I left the 88-93 corner filler pieces on it and I plan on getting a winch bumper soon. With the stock bumper it doesn't look bad without the center filler IMO

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grille shell (obviously)
Corner lenses
Parking lamps (old ones can be re-used with some work)
2 inner bumper mounts
3 filler panels

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's diff about the parking lamps? Will the 94+ fit in the older grill?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The older parking lamps are slightly bigger and have a metal ring around them. They look really goofy in the newer grilles and never quite fit right. The newer lights will work in the older grille.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the newer lights work in older grilles IF you have composite lights.

If you have quad glass sealed beams like I did you hae to make them work. By that you need spacers, to sit them out flush or you need to cut or beat the radiator support to sink them back in like the originals were for the sealed beams.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the newer lights work in older grilles IF you have composite lights.

If you have quad glass sealed beams like I did you hae to make them work. By that you need spacers, to sit them out flush or you need to cut or beat the radiator support to sink them back in like the originals were for the sealed beams.

The newer lights do sit back a bit and it is more noticeable if you have the composite headlights since they're flush versus the quad headlights that are recessed slightly. But, I still think that the newer parking lights recessed on the older grille look tons better than the older parking lights sticking out on the newer grille.
:lol:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the lights I got would not recess in the older grille, not without me knocking the radiator support back or cutting holes. I didn't have the factory 90-93 composite spacers for the parklights, so I made some, now they work just as the older composite grilles would with parklights in em.

My parklights are the ebay euro chrome ones for 88-98 they say.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I simply put the rubber park light mounting pieces behind the tabs of my new grill where as on my old one they were between the grill and the lights. Worked perfectly.