Newbie question - hole in transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goliath

Reaction score
Spending more time under my truck I noticed a threaded hole near the front of the transmission. Searching around some on the internet, I learned it's not a sealed part of the tranny and hole is supposed to be there so no panic, but just wondering the actual purpose.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
What tranny is it? Just a wild guess, but possibly a vent hole for a tube to hook to for when tranny gets hot?! :shrug:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Just went to look out of curiosity and sure enough mine has it too. I have the 700R4. Maybe you screw a hose into it to flush old tranny fluid somehow?

Goliath

Reaction score
Mine is a 4L80E, I read somewhere that it's to know when the seals were leaking but I'm pretty sure that was a dig.

Goliath

Reaction score
Well after a few minutes of thinking a plug came out and I have been running without fluid, I checked the fluid level and it was fine then web check found a few people mention GM been putting the holes there for a long time - I just really wanted to make sure it isn't something I am supposed to service somehow.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Is it the hole that is on top of the case on the drivers side, in this pic?

You must be registered for see images attach

Goliath

Reaction score
Here's a pic (it's more on the driver's side and almost all the way up to the oilpan.) I think you can see it in the pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doesn't sound like a big deal so I'm not going to worry about it, just trying to learn as I go.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aha! I've seen this on mine as well...That's all I have to add for your knowledge but this does make me feel alot better.