New to the forum but not to Chevys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Nice rides. That Beretta is clean as hell.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, 357ci makes sense, the Camaro is .030 over and it's a 355.

For the pistons, I didnt get the cheapo higher wrist pin ones. I got the standard wrist pin height Keith Blacks and with whatever the previous rebuilder did to the block they are .011 in the hole, so with a .026 head gasket I'll have nice tight .037 quench. Quench is .039 on my Camaro and I've never had detonation problems at 10.55:1 on 93, but it has a fairly decent cam to bleed off cylinder pressure too.

The truck has a much smaller cam to keep the power down low, so the high-rpm horsepower won't be there, but it will still be tons better than it was with the stock TBI cam and mismatched heads & pistons. Low-end torque should be great.

Yeah, I've always set 10.5 as the max to go with 93(non alcohol 93, that is), any higher and I go up a couple notches on octane just to be safe. Of course aluminum heads allow for higher cr, so does reverse flow cooling(heads get coldest charge). The cars nowadays just blow my mind, 14:1 on 87....o_O

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice rides. That Beretta is clean as hell.

Thanks, the Beretta usually gets no love! haha I bought it as a rolling shell a couple years ago when my faithful 95 Beretta of 6 years rotted out. I built it from the ground up with mods from my 95 and some extras. Even laid my first paint job. Then over this last winter I did a complete regasket & detail on the engine since the stage 2 clutch didnt hold up at the strip.
You must be registered for see images

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That beretta brought back fond memories, that was one cool car in it's day. The suzuki-powered probe gt turbo's were nice too, had to get the *** motors from overseas though, could only get the crappy mazda v6 over here.

Used to have fun and body drop those fwd bodies onto yugo or similar rwd chassis'.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Thanks, the Beretta usually gets no love! haha I bought it as a rolling shell a couple years ago when my faithful 95 Beretta of 6 years rotted out. I built it from the ground up with mods from my 95 and some extras. Even laid my first paint job. Then over this last winter I did a complete regasket & detail on the engine since the stage 2 clutch didnt hold up at the strip.

220hp! If you have any ideas for my 2.8 Cavalier let me know!!!

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
220hp! If you have any ideas for my 2.8 Cavalier let me know!!!

3400 swap it. For an ~88 Cav you'll need a custom engine mount and some 94-96 Beretta parts and that's about it. Those are rated for 180. I've got some bolt ons and the intake & exhaust.

You can get the LA1 3.4L out of lots of cars/vans from 99-06, but the 03+ ones have better intake manifolds. They are all roller cam roller rocker engines though.

Last edited: