New to the forum but not to Chevys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey. I'm a Chevy guy like most of you I'm sure. I've got an 80 Camaro and a 91 Beretta along with my 94 Z71. The plan was to leave my Z71 alone as a winter beater since I have so much money tied up in modding the Camaro and Beretta...but so much for that.

Now I'm in the process of building a nice Vortec 355 for the truck with a NV4500 swap. I'm figuring about 275-300hp and 400tq. I already threw some wheels & tires on it and blacked it out because I can't leave anything alone. I'm also currently doing a header to high-flow cat exhaust this time since when I first bought the truck I did a muffler & tail pipe.

Here are a few pics:
You must be registered for see images

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Nice project ya got going there, what made you decide to go .030+, were the walls worn past .010" or just preference?

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And the Beretta and Camaro...
220hp 3400v6 5spd swap with LSD and too many mods to list, gets me 31mpg and I'm hoping for 13s this year in the 1/4.

400hp Vortec 355 6spd swap and even more work than the Beretta. I get 4mpg city/22hwy and runs 12s. (106 in the 1/4) haha

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice project ya got going there, what made you decide to go .030+, were the walls worn past .010" or just preference?

The engine was actually rebuilt about 20k before I got it...but I'm guessing they threw it together with junk they had on the shelf. It was not nearly optimized (22cc dish pistons and 305 heads.) So I just bought pistons to match their .040 overbore since the cylinders are great, to bump up compression from their 8.7 to 9.72:1. Going with an LT1 roller cam (204/[email protected]" .447/.459" 117lsa) with Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer intake and modded TBI with Hedman long tubes.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ohhhh, so you have a 357ci(yes I'm picky with technical specs lol)....now, with you suggesting the compression ratio, did you get pistons where the wrist pin is located further towards the top(many times done to bring CR back down for people running stock fuel systems), or has the block never been decked? My 357 is very similar, 64cc chambers(62 after milling), decked block .008"(to take up for the raised wrist pin), and after the head gasket, it's fluid tested ~10.2....so get to decking! :D

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, 357ci makes sense, the Camaro is .030 over and it's a 355.

For the pistons, I didnt get the cheapo higher wrist pin ones. I got the standard wrist pin height Keith Blacks and with whatever the previous rebuilder did to the block they are .011 in the hole, so with a .026 head gasket I'll have nice tight .037 quench. Quench is .039 on my Camaro and I've never had detonation problems at 10.55:1 on 93, but it has a fairly decent cam to bleed off cylinder pressure too.

The truck has a much smaller cam to keep the power down low, so the high-rpm horsepower won't be there, but it will still be tons better than it was with the stock TBI cam and mismatched heads & pistons. Low-end torque should be great.