New owner of a 98 C2500 WT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.

Bought a low mileage gov fleet truck.
First Chevy truck I have owned since 1985.
I needed a work truck and something to pull the boat, after driving it around for a bit, I now want to do some mods to it

Mods
Seat cover with center console\installed
Motor untouched\118k runs smooth and strong
Jason transmission
New grill to go on, double light. style
Old school rims
interior needs work, dash, roof liner.

I want to level the front of the truck. I am going to go with 2 inch coil spacer.
Is this a simple install and do I need ball joint spacers for the front 2 inch lift?
Have to install a idler arm and pit arm.
Looking for a front full steering kit for it. (a arms/ball joints/bushings/)
Steering feels spongy.

Appreciate any feedback as to what are the best mods for a 2wd c2500.
I heard these trucks could have lean issues, is this a factory issues or uneven wear in supension?

thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Mods, you say? Well that all depends on what all you want to do with the truck, and what all you want to get out of the truck. Lean issues? As leaning to one side? Or lean as in not enough fuel? Ether way, not really an issues with these trucks in general.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hi.

Bought a low mileage gov fleet truck.
First Chevy truck I have owned since 1985.
I needed a work truck and something to pull the boat, after driving it around for a bit, I now want to do some mods to it

Looks great! I wish I could find them in nice shape here in MI.

I want to level the front of the truck. I am going to go with 2 inch coil spacer.
Is this a simple install and do I need ball joint spacers for the front 2 inch lift?
Have to install a idler arm and pit arm.
Looking for a front full steering kit for it. (a arms/ball joints/bushings/)
Steering feels spongy.

Why not drop the rear a few inches instead? Putting the nose up in the air is just going to lower your mileage, and change your alignment.

You don't want a front end kit. Kits are selling you convenience at the cost of part quality, and they may not even include everything you need/want. Buy the parts you need indiviually in good brands. I usually buy from Rockauto, and you may want to check out Amazon, as well. Sometimes ordering from Advance Auto online can get you good prices, too when they start throwing coupon codes at you. Advance will often give you free shipping. They won't have all the brands that Rockauto will, Though.

Appreciate any feedback as to what are the best mods for a 2wd c2500.
I heard these trucks could have lean issues, is this a factory issues or uneven wear in supension?

They must not have lean issues, becasue I don't know what you mean by that....leaning to one side?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Like was said it is cheaper and easier to drop the rear 1-2" than it is the front. $25-30 will net you some drop shackles. And I agree about the front end kit. Buy what is needed from rock auto, advance or other local stores if you can.

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow

thanks for the feedback.

I will drop the rear end to level.
About the lean issue , i read that some where saying that some of the trucks have a lean issues to one side, then there is the cali lean I just learned about, that does not apply to this truck.

I have a bit of slop in the steering, I adjusted the steering box, that help a bit.
I need to check the rag joint on the lower steering column, heard that could be something to do with the play issue.

I was just going to change out the rag joint itself, rather than a full column replacement, will that be enough?

Where can I find rear lowering shackles ?

thanks a ton for the input.
I do enjoy twisting a wrench on this truck.
its so simple to work on

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2" drop shackle for the back is what you want. You can find those just about everywhere. As for a lean, like your talking about, no. I have been fooling with these trucks (all 2 WD) for over 20 years, and I have been around a bunch of them, and never seen one leaning to one side. This is not something that is an issue with these trucks. If that is the case, then it's an issue with a particular truck, and maybe it has a bent frame, IDK. When I dropped mine, I has an extra set of shackles, so I just welded mine like I want to, but it's rite at a 2" drop in the back. No need to do anything to the front, the trucks sits level, and that's what I wanted. As for the rag joint, that's all I did on mine. I just changed out the rubber disc, and used grade 8 bolts. I did have to shave one side of the bolt head for clearance. Here are pics.

Attachments

• 20210525_192735.jpg
    20210525_192735.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201207_121728.jpg
    20201207_121728.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2021-09-09-12-30-58.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-09-12-30-58.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2021-09-09-12-30-42.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-09-12-30-42.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160116_143453.jpg
    20160116_143453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 14

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks
I like the look of your Truck
I kinda wish I had held out for an extended cab model. But i felt a 98 with 116k, was rare and wanted a decent motor. the 305 seems to be enough power with this 2500 chassis. I get about 13 miles around town and maybe 15 on the highway. When pulling I get 10 mpg. I paid 4500 for it. Prior to this Truck I owned a tacoma 97 with a 275k manual. sold that for 10k. The truck prices are insane right now. I only expect use truck prices to go higher with the Chip (manufacture) shortage.

I do appreciate your time to teach me how to level this truck on the cheap and with less work.

Thanks

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's real easy to level your truck on a 2WD. A Tacoma, is a grate truck. My son has one, and my wife has a 4-runner. As for my truck. Thanks. I have had it for 19 years. I have a lot of time in it doing mods. It has 256,000+ miles.

Last edited:

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's real easy to level your truck on a 2WD. A Tacoma, is a grate truck. My son has one, and my wife has a 4-runner. As for my truck. Thanks. I have had it for 19 years. I have a lot of time in it doing mods. It has 256,000+ miles.
I'm going to try those shackles on my 92 C2500. The rear sits way up high, so hoping a two-inch drop will be enough. Truck is stock with the factory 16 inch rims and Cooper 245/75-16 tires.

I am wondering if lowering the rear will cause me any issues with the tailpipe to differential clearance ???

You must be registered for see images attach