New member / owner looking for advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GChamb

Reaction score
Whats up GMT400! Im a new owner of a 98 GMC Suburban 1500 SLT 2wd. Ive studied quite a bit of info Ive been reading on here lately. My rig was basically a one owner, has 180K and has been taken good care of (I spent weeks scouring southern california for the best cheap suburban. It has the original trans, seems to shift fine and the engine runs well.
My intentions are to make this rig very reliable so I can transport the family, my sons go-kart and our dogs long distance with as little worry as possible.
Common issues Im aware of: 4L60E longevity, lower intake leakage, fuel injector failure (non MPFI), fuel pump failure and of course misc electical quarks.
Are there any other common issues that I havent listed, that in your opinion should be addressed?
Thanks for any input!

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 is the first year of passlock. It starts becoming problematic around your mileage. Electronic Variable Orifice (evo) started in 97. It allows more power steering pressure when maneuvering for easier steering and less at speed to allow better road feel. You are at the mileage where it starts to crap out. Vortec distributor caps are crap.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Preventively I would consider having the transmission overhauled. Mine crapped out while in town and would not go very far before it stopped working. And since you are looking to do hauling and trips I would look to having this done. Towing fees and inconveniences suck on the road between major cities. And possibly look at having shift kits or HD build done now.

Reaction score
Whats up GMT400! Im a new owner of a 98 GMC Suburban 1500 SLT 2wd. Ive studied quite a bit of info Ive been reading on here lately. My rig was basically a one owner, has 180K and has been taken good care of (I spent weeks scouring southern california for the best cheap suburban. It has the original trans, seems to shift fine and the engine runs well.
My intentions are to make this rig very reliable so I can transport the family, my sons go-kart and our dogs long distance with as little worry as possible.
Common issues Im aware of: 4L60E longevity, lower intake leakage, fuel injector failure (non MPFI), fuel pump failure and of course misc electical quarks.
Are there any other common issues that I havent listed, that in your opinion should be addressed?
Thanks for any input!

You must be registered for see images attach
You and I have the same use-case for these classic trucks - the ability to drive anywhere, anytime as worry free as possible. Got 203k on mine now and would trust it anywhere (I do realize that at some point it's probably going to be the 4L60 that'll get me, though - if I don't get to it first!)

In addition to what you already know and what other guys have just posted here, it's definitely time for some steering and suspension work, as well. I got my new-to-me 2000 Escalade with ~186k on it. Since it had major bearing damage from lower intake gasket leakage, I installed a L31 4-bolt main GM crate engine w/all the trimmings. Long story short, while everything was apart, I checked the steering and suspension parts and everything was completely worn out. I went with the best Moog had to offer and replaced everything from bushings to linkages to sway bar link. I also replaced the steering box with a RedHead unit. I kept the EVO Skylark mentioned above and replaced the steering angle sensor for it (common-fail part of the system, located under dash @ steering shaft.) The difference in ride and elimination of drifting all over the road is amazing. These things actually drive and handle great with some good, tight stuff holding it all together. Also, anything you can do to beef up the brakes is worthwhile...I've had good luck so far with drilled/slotted rotors up front and higher-end pads and shoes out back.

I'd say if everything is acceptable for now and you just want to hit the 'high spots' of preventing stranded-ness, swap the fuel pump now with a Delphi unit. That little ******* will leave you in a bad way much sooner than later.

Oh, and welcome aboard to GMT400! I, much like you, came here after I got mine. This is a great place for info with guys that have some serious GMT400 experience. Stay awhile! :cheers:

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
98 is the first year of passlock. It starts becoming problematic around your mileage. Electronic Variable Orifice (evo) started in 97. It allows more power steering pressure when maneuvering for easier steering and less at speed to allow better road feel. You are at the mileage where it starts to crap out. Vortec distributor caps are crap.

Highjacking here - my 97 has been having power steering problems. First it blew the high pressure line, then the pump went. I put new lines and pump on, and it drove great for a few weeks.. Now it still seems to be extremely tight and hard to turn as soon as you get more than a half turn. It's harder to the left than it is to the right.. Could this be an EVO issue? I have 480k KM. I replaced the pump with an EVO pump from NAPA.

Edit: There's also quite a bit of play in my steering box - is the issue more likely to be there?

GChamb

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. I hadn't heard anything about the PS EVO stuff. I already located my closest Pick N Pull to get a 96 fitting and line. Does it need to be 96 only or is it a range (like 93-96)?Anyone have any experience with the GM delete part? Its on Amazon for $79, I always like to replace with new stuff.
Today I looked everything over and it looks like my radiator is slightly seeping under the fitting below the radiator hose on the drivers side/ upper.