Advice for a new diesel owner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please allow me to quote myself above.
My personal 2000 that died at 104k was very well taken care of in my 21k miles of ownership. The well documented 98 was immaculate and well taken care of. Roll the dice and buy warm gloves so your hands aren't cold when you're pushing it or waiting for the tow truck.
Ya know, the valve failures are something I haven't heard much about. Are they dropping valves as in the stems break, keepers fail, or... ?? I do know that dropped valves or seats can pretty much destroy an engine requiring total replacement.

Most of the guys that defend 6.5's say that the later models "got all the bugs worked out" (I think 1997 is when they improved the cooling system?) but clearly that is fantasy, not factual. :)

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know, the valve failures are something I haven't heard much about. Are they dropping valves as in the stems break, keepers fail, or... ?? I do know that dropped valves or seats can pretty much destroy an engine requiring total replacement.

Most of the guys that defend 6.5's say that the later models "got all the bugs worked out" (I think 1997 is when they improved the cooling system?) but clearly that is fantasy, not factual. :)

Richard
The exhaust valve itself has failed twice for me. The metal failed about 3/8" from the outside edge and took about a quarter of the valve face. Of course that chunk of valve likes to bounce around inside the cylinder for awhile. I'd share a photo but it is locked in photobucket hell.