New Member lookin' for a little Help :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJayJay

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope the evening finds you all well :)
I find myself in a bit of a mess, I got an 88 Chevy with what I feel confident identifying as a Turbo 200 transmission in her. Bought her as a dents-n-dings first ride for my son. So far we're both having a blast workin on her, and I know with some work it'll last longer than he will lol

So, we noticed a leak on the transmission, right at the rear seal. So down comes the driveshaft, out comes the old rear seal, and in goes a new. But it's still leaking :-( The thing that's driving me crazy is it looks like the u-joint itself is leaking.
I'm a bit of a novice mechanic, but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and we can afford to tear it down in the driveway. What am I missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Welcome. As for your issue, remove the driveshaft and look down the center of the yoke. It may have a crack or even a hole. That's why it appears the U-joint is leaking. You will have to replace the yoke and the u-joint in this case.

I have seen this happen in Fords, but not is GM's as of yet.

Hope this helps

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
The TM200 was never offered in these......or any trucks, and If someone swapped it in I wouldn't worry about replacing the seal. I'd concentrate on getting a new transmission as the 200 was used from 1976-1987 and were not very durable and failed quite often.

TheJayJay

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, guys :) Yeah, I'm noticing this is gonna be a bit more work than I initially thought >.< Looks like I'll be replacing the yoke soon.. Supertrucker, can you recommend a transmission to swap in?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
700r4 would be the trans of choice if you want to keep the 4spd. Or I would go wiyh a th350 or th400. I am assuming its 2wd.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

TheJayJay

Reaction score
I'll probably look for the 7r4 then, especially if its a bit less expensive. I dont see this one visiting the interstate much :) It is indeed a 2wd, standard cab, short bed, though I'm not sure which block is in it. I cant find any identifying tags or marks on the block :-( I'm pretty sure its an older block though, not the factory block that was in it