NEW HERE, NEW 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't remember if I've posted here yet so this may be a copy of something I've written.

Was looking for a tow vehicle to take over from my 1965 Chevy Van, got a pristine 1994 GMC K1500 bought 3 years ago with 126,000 miles. One owner, always garaged, drove 6,000 miles a year, yes really. Still had the original plugs, wires, cap and rotor on it but would barely get up to 65 mph. So, replaced all those with AC Delco stuff, removed air filter intake replaced with 4" dryer duct, added an MSD Adjustable Timing Control and a Fastchip, and went to dual exhaust. But the 350 still struggled up any grade over 4%. Towing only a 5,000 lb travel trailer. So just installed a 383 stroker built by S&J engines in Spokane. Just got back from a 600 mile trip around the Olympic peninsula and because never had to go up a pass, never had to take it out of 3rd and traveled a lot of the more level roads in 4th, didn't hunt at all. Plus, and this is a big plus, got 9.5 miles per gallon. The old 350 struggled to get 8.5 and worse. So pretty happy with the new engine and smooth GMT400.