new guy with squealing belt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I just had the EXACT same problem. Replaced EVERYTHING. Turned out to be the PS pump. Last thing to be replaced. Money with wings fer sure!!!

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just fixed my problem like that thursday, check to see if your crankshaft pulley has a wobble when the motor is running. Mine was wobbling so I swapped out the harmonic balancer and it fixed the problem. If the problem is with a grooved pulley like your PS pump and the crankshaft pulley it is making the belt squeal on a smooth pulley as wobbles. Unfortuenly with having the belt squealing on the smooth pulley it tends to glaze the back of the belt and it may need to be replaced after you actually fixthe problem.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-odd-motor-noise

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your money on relacing the P/S pulley if there are no cracks in it. The pulley itself won't make a squeal. I agree with Sewlow58, I have seen the P/S pump make some weird noises before.

ksalling

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar issue after I replaced my PS pump. I hadn't pressed the pulley on far enough causing the belt to squeal. Once I got the puller back on there it only needed 2 turns of the wrench and it was on far enough. Maybe this is the case with one of the other pulleys you installed.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my crankshaft pully does have a wobble. i just checked. so maybe thats it. i went back and checked all the other pullys they are all tight..

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok heres a question before i do that. can the crankshaft pully go bad, not just the harmonic balancer?

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 3 bolts that bolt the pulley ON TO the balancer. I guess if you would want to check it out first you can pull off the pulley by taking the 3 bolts (9/16) off and setting it face down onto a flat surface. As you try to break the bolts loose the crank shaft will turn until it hits a compression cycle then the will break lose with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet. You will have to take off your fan cowl, to get the pulley off you make be able to get to the pulley off with your fan on bet it will be much easier to take your fan off.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well it wasnt the harmonic balancer.. it was the power steering pump.. i replaced the balancer and it still squeaked. replaced the pump, im squeak free. thank you all for your help