new guy with squealing belt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so i have a 97 k1500 z71 with a 350. for the past 2 months it has been sqealing real bad. it is a constant sqeal. since the squeal has been present i have replaced the belt tensioner and pully, the idler pully, the water pump went out so i had to replace it, and the alternator went out so i had to replace it. and the belt is new. the a.c compressor and power steering pump pully spin freely without any wobble or noise when i spin them by hand. and i tried but i cant seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. what else could be making it squeal? thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome!
I had the same prob with mine. Did all that you did. Turned out to be the PS pump. It spun freely with no belt too. Need a proper puller for the wheel on that. They're aluminum, & are easy to F up with out the puller. Hmmm...how do I know that? Lol!

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i guess i could try that next.. the psp puly is only $15 someone tried to tell me it was the belt. but i always try to use good parts so the belt i got is a goodyear gatorback belt from summit. so i dont think thats it..

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well im going to try the pully first. since its only $15. did you feel anything wrong with your power steering when you had to replace it?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's what was wierd. It seemed to be fine when driving, other than the banshee scream. Also why it was the last thing to be changed.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well my A/C compressor is gone too. so i got to replace it before summer anyway. so im going to replace that first. since it has to be done anyway. then if it still sqeals ill do the psp pully and trhen if that dont do it, ill spend the extra money and buy a psp..and if that dont do it.. i guess ill be out of luck cause that means i would have replaced everything.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i get there. if i have to take it all the way there, i see some that says with in line ortifice tube and some without. i thought that was only for an a/c? wich one should i get? its a $50 difference between the 2 pumps.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I believe that the one with the orifice is for a hydro-boost system. I haven't done that mod yet, so I may not be exactly right. Someone with more knowledge could help you out on that better than me.
If you search 'Hydro-boost' you may find an answer in one of thse threads.