New guy, question about hangers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowmanpf21

Reaction score
So I have a 1995 4wd 4 door Tahoe. I'm looking for new rear hangers because one of them has a hole rusted through from a previous owner. I was looking at Dorman 722-071, but RockAuto, Amazon, and everywhere else I can find it say that it's specifically for 2 door models. Are the rear hangers for 2 door and 4 door models actually different from each other?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Couldn't describe the difference to you but they are different, and in Tahoe lowering kits with hangers, you gotta specify 2 or 4 door as well.

Richard

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The SUV hangers are shorter than the pickups. I had to replace the rear hangers on my '00 Denali.
I ended up using pickup hangers, lifting the rear of the truck 1". Which was a welcomed outcome due to me cranking my torsion bars for my snow plow.
Also, the holes dont exactly line up. I needed to be elongate 2, but that's only a negligible difference...

In the end, as long as you replace both hangers as a pair, there wont be ANY issue with driving, handling, load capacity. Just a slight difference in ride height.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The SUV hangers are shorter than the pickups. I had to replace the rear hangers on my '00 Denali.
I ended up using pickup hangers, lifting the rear of the truck 1". Which was a welcomed outcome due to me cranking my torsion bars for my snow plow.
Also, the holes dont exactly line up. I needed to be elongate 2, but that's only a negligible difference...

In the end, as long as you replace both hangers as a pair, there wont be ANY issue with driving, handling, load capacity. Just a slight difference in ride height.
Ya know, I sure have noticed a lot of 400 Tahoes/Yukons/etc. sagging in the rear, too - like the springs weren't up to the job of hauling around the weight of the vehicle and whatever they may have towed in the past. Even took apart a pair of leaf packs for a customer and added a middle-of-pack leaf from a Suburban pack that was carefully picked to be a usable length.

If a pickup hanger would work, that would also help restore any lost ride height due to sagging springs..

Richard

bowmanpf21

Reaction score

Did you use the hangers off of a k1500? Also, was the tailpipe in the way on the passenger side? Looking at it, it seems like it would be to me, but I'm not too sure.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you use the hangers off of a k1500? Also, was the tailpipe in the way on the passenger side? Looking at it, it seems like it would be to me, but I'm not too sure.
Yes, since the Yukon is a 1500, I used "1500 pickup" as a donor model.
No, the tailpipe had no interference. It is 3" forward of the hanger, tons of room!