New guy in SC Midlands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is Luke, Richard Swinger is my internet alias. I just bought a 1998 K2500 and I'm trying to learn everything I can. I know my way around modern Mopar stuff really well but these OBS GM trucks are totally new to me. I've been trying to get accepted to the GMT 400 group on facebook but nobody has let me in there over the last week (probably because my profile looks weird with zero friends, I only use Facebook for car stuff). Are there any mods here that can let me into the Facebook group? Also, what in the HECK is this black box on the driver's side rear cab window??? Hopefully nothing too important as the last guy cut the wire [emoji1787]. Thanks for having me here, looking forward to learning from you guys!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you sir! I actually just heard back from my cousin and he said it is an old cell phone antenna...? Bet it was high tech back in 1998! Man, I paid through the nose for this truck and it's got it's issues but the L29 was just rebuilt (so I've been told... I even met the mechanic that did it and he certainly has the shop and the skills to do it, I'm just wary of stuff like this). Other than some sporadic rough starts (sometimes it takes 3 tries to get her started) she runs really smooth and has zero lag. I'm really excited for this truck, growing up my dad had an 87 Sierra (it's only got 90k miles on it now) he calls her Big Blue, so this was definitely a nostalgia purchase for me. So grateful for this community!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hard starts as discrived are usually a sign of a weak fuel pump. 5.7L? They need over 60 PSI pre start. Do a fuel pressure test, if its less than 60 PSI prestart, you need to replace it. Use AC Delco or Delphi only. Any other brand will not hold up.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Enjoy the sight. There is a ton of info here on these trucks. As for over paying, I wouldnt worry about it, the price of these trucks is going up every day. I turned down $7000 for my truck last month. Hell IDK if I would take $10,000 fo it.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hard starts as discrived are usually a sign of a weak fuel pump. 5.7L? They need over 60 PSI pre start. Do a fuel pressure test, if its less than 60 PSI prestart, you need to replace it. Use AC Delco or Delphi only. Any other brand will not hold up.
The L29 is the 454 (the 7.4? What do the cool kids call it?). I know it's not TBI or even the "spider" style fuel injection but the multi port fuel injection. Like I said before... I definitely overpaid for this truck, but I love it. And there's a laundry list of things I want to do to it. I'm trying to separate the needs from the wants. It's only got a 25 gallon tank (short bed) and I'm researching how to put the 34 gallon tank in there (not sure if it's possible, I haven't found any threads on this swap); but if I did that I would put a new sending unit and fuel pump in. I'm really really hoping it's not the fuel pressure regulator as I think that's actually inside the intake manifold and that looks like it will be a bear to tear apart, but with the rough starts and slight fuel smell that's looking like the culprit. But for now, at the worst she won't start until the third try, and once she starts she idles at a perfect 600-700 rpm and runs/responds perfectly.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy the sight. There is a ton of info here on these trucks. As for over paying, I wouldnt worry about it, the price of these trucks is going up every day. I turned down $7000 for my truck last month. Hell IDK if I would take $10,000 fo it.
Man, thank you. That actually makes me feel MUCH better. I have a 2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 and in the past 2 months I hit: a five gallon paint bucket, a bird, and two deer. The wife actually TOLD me to buy a truck and this thing is a total tank. The idea is to have a perfect running motor/tranny/drive train with an old beat up ish outside, in the vein of Mad Max. And that's what we're calling her, Max. I found this 2500 with a fresh rebuilt engine and that's all I could see. The wife was NOT happy as it was dirty and smelled funny but she came around and has been helping me detail and black rattle can paint job the interior.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the 454 does have a different fuel injection system than the small blocks do. As for a bigger tank, as long as you get the hanger brackets from the donner truck, it should work.