new guy here with a few questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys im new to the site , i have a 1998 chevy 305 its burgendy with 20"xd series rims wraped in 35"nitto trail graplers , with a 3" body and small crank, truck has a alpine sterio system sith a cobra 50th aniversery cb radio conected to a wilson 5000 antena

i just picked up a parts truck this weekend a 98 chev silverado z71 with a blown 350

naw for the questions!

can i swap the pw/pl from the parts truck into mine? how hard is it?

i think ive read somewear about putting a 350 intake on a 305 for some extra ponies? not shure exactialy

and is there any way to find out what gears are in the rear end without haveing the glovebox?

i think thats about it for naw but im shure ill think of more!
thanks in advance guys! i look forward to being a member of the forum!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Yes. Can be done in a day depending on how handy you are. I did a set once before.
Not sure about the intake.
You can count the teeth on the ring.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i know you can switch the window things, it just takes some wiring and a few other things
ps post pics

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome! I'm sure you could swap the power windows and locks from the parts truck but at the very least you'd have alot of wiring and more to do, it would probably be easiest to swap the doors out and run the wiring...but I've never done it personally.

whoever told you that you'd gain power from swapping intakes is incorrect, you won't gain anything, the L31 350 and L30 305 intakes are the same. heads are a little different, but not worth swapping out at all.

if you need to figure out the gear ratio the most accurate way to do so is to open the differential and count the ring gear and pinion gear teeth...divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinon teeth for the ratio (i.e. 41 ring gear teeth/10 pinion gear teeth = 4.10 ratio)...if you don't want to do that, you could try marking the wheel and driveshaft, then turn the wheel exactally 1 revolution, and try to count how far the driveshaft turns which will give you the ratio (4.1 driveshaft revolutions = 4.10 gears, etc)...it won't be overly accurate but it'll give you a good idea and be able to differentiate between the different factory gearsets.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
waw thanks for the quick reply's guys!! and that link is going to be soo helpfull!!!!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome, sounds like a nice truck, and yeah the power DL and WNDW is not that hard of a swap.