New guy from Northern MI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well hello there everyone. I've been in the market for a Chevy truck Forum since I just recently bought my 1994 Sportside Standard Cab 1500 off of a family friend for... well $1500! 170k on the ticker, he was the original owner and a very conservative guy so it wasn't ragged on. The truck has been sitting for about 3 or 4 years in his back yard, but isn't in bad shape besides some light fade in the clear coat here and there and she needs some new doors(bottom of doors rotted a bit), but the cab is solid. She's got a Vortech Supercharger running 6psi. Other than that just a plain jane stock TBI with a single in dual out Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler (Not staying on there for long, I like to hear the 8 cylinder symphony).

But now to the list of problems:

Interior Dome lights, cig lighter, and the cargo light all don't work. Which leads me to assume they're on the same Circuit. Any insight would be much appreciated.
I installed a new radio deck into it, but after I did that the Heat/AC controls fully works besides it only blows outside or just "normal" temp air. And the temperature slider flashes when you try to hit the "C" or "H" adjustment buttons. It then remains flashing with the whole bar (Can get pics).
He put a new fuel pump and fuel filter in her, the truck will stay at 12PSI of fuel pressure idling and won't budge from 12PSI even when you rev it in neutral or park, no matter what RPM. But as soon as the truck is in drive or reverse my fuel pressure gauge will drop at random down to 6PSI and she'll start to bog, sometimes starting from a stop then going through intersections it'll drop down to 3PSI and die completely or whenever it's at my most inconvenience. I ran a new ground for the fuel pump and the fuel pump is hard wired straight from the battery to a manual switch in the cab. The driver has to turn the fuel pump on prior to starting and after turning off.

Well that's my new truck in a nutshell, lookin' forward to chatting with everyone in the forum.

Reaction score
Welcome.
Someone will have some answers for you.
Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Yes sir, first thing I did when I got it. He put a Fram one on it. So I changed that out for a cheap one from Auto Zone. It helped out a little bit, made the truck atleast somewhat drive-able. But it's still bogging after 2500/3000 rpm's when driving. So I'm just wondering if the fuel pump is faulty. It has an inline fuel pump, but he said he replaced "both" of the fuel pumps. Do these trucks have an in-tank pump as well?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
welcome!

yes they have an in-take pump. never seen one with an inline pump. must have been added the po. i would remove it and put a new in-tank pump in.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: I've been up to traverse alot back when I lived out in MI. beautiful country up there. sounds like a fun truck project...if your 94 is like my '96 the lighting issue is possibly a blown fuse, mine has a cig lighter fuse which also has a couple lights on the circuit IIRC, as well as a CTSY fuse which handles the dome lights and such. check and see if you have any fuses blown...there should be a fuse panel in the door jamb for them, at least that's how it is in '96, but they did change the whole interior between 94 and 96, so yours might be a little different...

here's some '94 wiring diagrams that might help out:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1994.html

Reaction score
welcome!

yes they have an in-take pump. never seen one with an inline pump. must have been added the po. i would remove it and put a new in-tank pump in.

Well that explains a lot more now. Since I don't hear a fuel pump running in/around the tank. Guess I'll pull the sending unit out and see what the heck is goin' on in there. This fuel problem is really gettin' on my nerves I want to see what this thing has when it is NOT bogging all over the place!!! :hmm:

Reaction score
:welcome: I've been up to traverse alot back when I lived out in MI. beautiful country up there. sounds like a fun truck project...if your 94 is like my '96 the lighting issue is possibly a blown fuse, mine has a cig lighter fuse which also has a couple lights on the circuit IIRC, as well as a CTSY fuse which handles the dome lights and such. check and see if you have any fuses blown...there should be a fuse panel in the door jamb for them, at least that's how it is in '96, but they did change the whole interior between 94 and 96, so yours might be a little different...

here's some '94 wiring diagrams that might help out:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1994.html

It sure is, I love it up here. Thanks for the link, that'll come in handy. But I checked all my fuses already and there aren't any blown soo I'm back to square #1. :Frustrated:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
electrical gremlins are a pain. you may have some kind of grounding issue, sorry I can't be of more help, let us know what it is if you find out though.