New from NW Ohio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zabo

Reaction score
Joined the site after a quick google search on the GMT400 chassis landed me here. Glad there's a forum community on the web that caters to the T400 rather than a mashup of Box Bodies and Duramaxes.. I'm used to F bodies and LS1s so 4wd is a somewhat foreign concept (aside from the fact that my car and this truck may have interchangeable G80 rears)

Not that there's nothing wrong with either, I'm just playing a hand that I was dealt from out of the blue. So let me start with the truck.

1997 Chevrolet K2500 Cheyenne. Push button 4wd.

Bought new back in '96 for plow duty (I went with the old man when I was 9ish to pick it up too) and it's seen it's better days. Bed's rotted to hell from the inside out and it pretty much needs all the suspension, steering, and driveline sensors gone over but at 122000 miles I wasn't going to turn down a free truck that I knew the complete history on.

You heard that right.. Free.

You see, I worked with this truck at the golf course my dad's been Director of Grounds with for 10 years now (been around the course since '89), and saw it's handoff from my dad's work truck to the staff work truck. After college I came back due to the abysmal job market to the ol' girl who by now had seen better days. Bed was rotting, no more ABS, wouldn't drive it on the street.. but oddly it still had rockers and cab corners. Huh. Rambling on..

That all changed through when the fuel tank fell out and the brake lines exploded under a 10000lb load. Needless to say after they put a few grand into keeping it going (and in the mean time installed a trailer brake - funny story on how that saved the truck I'll share at some point) it came time for the T700 Silverado to be retired. Currently the board is in deliberation about getting a new GMT900 'K' 2500HD Ext Cab for the old man and putting the T700 out to pasture.

Which brings us to the T400. It was going to be scrapped. Needed all the stuff I mentioned above and they didn't want to put the money into it. But me being young and stupid raised a hand. I'd take it for a small sum.

The old man surprised me with 'You can have it for free if they approve the new one.'

So.. here I sit typing on a rain out day from the course pondering a future with a T400 Cheyenne I've known since I was 9, and caused some of the dents on.

And I hope that within these next few months I can finally sign my name on that title and bring her back to the way I first saw her on the lot post delivery-prep.

Oh, and this is as she sits now (well as of last week 11/7/12). Poster child of looks being deceiving, right?

You must be registered for see images attach

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
:welcome: from Mississippi!!!

Great history of the truck!!! Sounds like she needs ALOT of TLC. Good luck getting the ole girl!!!

Zabo

Reaction score
TLC or not, it still drives, has sluggish steering, stops.. kinda. Picked it up as a beater but then started reading the site. Now I know hell or high water I had to have this truck. I mean we only did the handles once.. and haven't touched the exteriors.

Our GMT400 6.5L C3500 Dump (55K miles on a '99 believe it or not.) on the other hand.. surprised the door crank still works for the window. Love ice cold sub 30*f starts on that thing, you can tell when you're running 4.. then 5.. then 6.. then 8 cylinders by how hard the whole truck wants to flip over.