New from Maryland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbuck49

Reaction score
I just got a customized 91 GMC 1500. It is a real mess. It has an old 350 with a turbo 400. Wires have been cut etc. I am trying to get it running. It turns over but won't start. I have pulled the distributor and card to have them looked at. Working on a crossmember, throttle linkage and shift linkage to start. Might be too far gone and just junk or sell it. Anyone close or have ideas? Not sure about the VATS, that might keep it from starting.

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a 91 won't have VATS, actually 99.99% sure as I have a 91.
There are factory service manuals in the engine section available for download. They will have trouble shooting sections to follow.
Is it getting fuel to the injectors?

Jimbuck49

Reaction score
Thanks.

I think it is too big of a mess and will just junk it or part it out. Hope to have a distributor and carb next week to try and start it again. If it does not run, well a 350 for sale and a turbo 400 plus the body.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think it is too big of a mess and will just junk it or part it out. Hope to have a distributor and carb next week to try and start it again. If it does not run, well a 350 for sale and a turbo 400 plus the body.
Don't be so fast to give up!!!

First off, what is a "old 350", do you mean it's 1st gen carb motor?
Still running TBI?
What fuel and ignition systems are on it?
Is the ECM still involved in running your engine?

The more information you give us, the probability of getting the right answers to help you with this goes up exponentially.
These rigs aren't rockets, they are fairly simple as long as the right questions and info flow. I don't think I've seen a issue on here not get solved. A LOT of smart people on here with tons of experience.

And post up some pictures of your new custom truck!!!! We like looking at shiny things!!!

Jimbuck49

Reaction score
It is a carb motor with a turbo 400. Have to get the alternator wired up. Lights don’t work. Putting a carb and HEI back in and see if it runs. Have to figure out fuel system, has a mechanical fuel pump and the TBI in tank pump. Was originally a 305 TBI and R700.