New Canadian!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahaha

I am familiar with downhill house racing!

I am actually new to Ontario
Originally from The lower mainland B.C. (Delta)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Howdy.

Early trucks could be had with either the NA 6.2 or the 6.5 TD.

92 is the first appearance of the 6.5 and 93 is the last year of the 6.2.

In those transitional years, you could get either in your truck.

6.2 NA only, the 6.5 could be NA or Turbo.

92 was the DB2 pump and mechanical injection. Memory is a little foggy, but I think 94 was the first year for the DS4 pump which would mean the DB2 was available until 93. Don't quote me on that one though....

The 6.5 was made by simply punching out the bore on the 599 6.2 casting and is generally accepted as the "strongest" GM poured block (although still a weak design).

When looking at a 599 block the only way to really know the displacement is to mic the bores.....

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hahahaha

I am familiar with downhill house racing!

I am actually new to Ontario
Originally from The lower mainland B.C. (Delta)

Haha! I grew up in Port Moody. The site of the original DHHR'ing!
10 years later, they built houses again(!) on those lots!
It's only a matter of time! Lol!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Howdy.

Early trucks could be had with either the NA 6.2 or the 6.5 TD.

92 is the first appearance of the 6.5 and 93 is the last year of the 6.2.

In those transitional years, you could get either in your truck.

6.2 NA only, the 6.5 could be NA or Turbo.

92 was the DB2 pump and mechanical injection. Memory is a little foggy, but I think 94 was the first year for the DS4 pump which would mean the DB2 was available until 93. Don't quote me on that one though....

The 6.5 was made by simply punching out the bore on the 599 6.2 casting and is generally accepted as the "strongest" GM poured block (although still a weak design).

When looking at a 599 block the only way to really know the displacement is to mic the bores.....

You are correct on '94 being the first year of the DS4 pump. What casting block would a '95 6.5 be?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You are correct on '94 being the first year of the DS4 pump. What casting block would a '95 6.5 be?

This might be off a year or so here and there, but here goes:

Prior to 90, 6.2's were commonly known as "red blocks" and I think were all 660.

90-92 6.2 should be 599.

92-93 6.5 should be 599.

1994-early 1995 should be 599 blocks.

Late 1996-early 1997 should be 141 blocks.

The troublesome crack prone 506's were 97-98 IIRC.

99 supposedly saw the introduction of "high nickle" 506 blocks in a final casting from GM foundries.

Late 99+ saw the introduction of the Navistar cast AMG/GEP engines and are the best of the breed short of the fancy schmancy "P400" casting that was designed for the up armored HMMWV.

There's also lots or overseas "knockoff's" running around out there with everything from the 599 casting stamp to even including the "double diamond" in the valley.

To further complicate the issues, who knows what is actually in a 20-25 year old truck after multiple owners so you could have nearly anything under the hood by now.....you're just going to have to get in there and look to know for sure.

Last edited:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
In my trucks case i know that the current engine is only the second engine it has had and it came out of a '95 so that puts it at being a late 599. So the '82 6.2 "Red Block" i have is a 660 then?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
In my trucks case i know that the current engine is only the second engine it has had and it came out of a '95 so that puts it at being a late 599.

95 is kind of a transitional year, so who knows?

Also, since 6.x's are so failure prone, there's no way of knowing if the 95 had been changed out prior to being robbed of it's (then) current motivator.

So the '82 6.2 "Red Block" i have is a 660 then?

I'll guess "yes".

But I've never paid a lot of attention to the "pre-turbo" models.

As said before: you have to get in there and check to know......