New 4l80E issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What are your guys cruising RPM? at like 60 im rollin like 2300 RPM in OD, it shifts into OD but the RPMS feel to high, if i remember correctly it was cruisin before around 1800, the truck is pretty new to me, 96 crew cab dually...

Any help would be great, already changed the VSS and temp sensor.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
What are your guys cruising RPM? at like 60 im rollin like 2300 RPM in OD, it shifts into OD but the RPMS feel to high, if i remember correctly it was cruisin before around 1800, the truck is pretty new to me, 96 crew cab dually...

Any help would be great, already changed the VSS and temp sensor.

at 60 i am turnin 1900 with 4:10 and 215/85/16

Reaction score
That sounds about right.. i cant roll more than 60 without being 2500 plus. Not sure what the issue is.

Reaction score
I changed it along with the VSS yesterday.. maybe disconnect battery to get rid of code (even though we didnt see any)

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i guess you will need to hook it to a scanner and see if the ecm is giving it the signal to lockup or not and then go from there

Reaction score
I think i may have figured it out.. Factory tow package and a Jacked up 7pin from breaking it on a slab, my truck think im towing all the time. ima install a new 7 pin right now and hope it works, the problem started around the same time i broke the old 7pin.

Reaction score
I wish this truck had an overdrive switch... Maybe Brake switch? No codes even when driving and everything else looks good from TPS as well.. Not sure where to look next.

Reaction score
OK not brake switch, while in OD tap the brake a bit and it kicks out of OD then goes right back in once released.... but still higher RPM than it should

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK not brake switch, while in OD tap the brake a bit and it kicks out of OD then goes right back in once released.... but still higher RPM than it should

That's not od kicking in and out that's the TCC doing what it should.

Sent from somewhere in MN