New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megaburb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the cats out or depending on what your laws are pound them suckers out! Ha no don't do that...

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I will do that. Is there a way to check the flow of cats or is it just an item you replace on failure and/or at a certain mileage or age?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

megaburb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people wait till they are plugged and the vehicle will barely move! Its just a cut out and replace thing but depending on what state your in for emissions laws, you might just be able to put pipe back in instead. I'm in mn where there are no laws really so I'm straight piped but every state is different...

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I got the new AC Delco plugs in. The NGK plugs that have been in for a few weeks were a little concerning. Some of them are very light and others are light tan. One was plug is actually curved or bent a little and when I pulled it out of the socket some of the ceramic actually broke off. I rented a fuel pressure test kit from autozone to see what I find there. I have seen some videos of people testing fuel pressure but I dont understand all of the tests that I should do specifically. Can someone tell me or maybe point me to a thread here that will walk me through everything? Thanks guys!

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far with new plugs it hasn't stumbled at idle like it did but I haven't driven it a lot yet so I will update on that after I drive more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far so good with the new plugs. It seems to have cleaned up the idle a bit but I didnt notice any change in power or anything like that. Can someone tell me or point me to a link on how I test my fuel pressure? I got the kit from autozone and I know I hook it up to the schrader valve but thats about all I know specifically for these trucks. Like I said, I watched some videos but only found one good one for a vortec 454 so I just like to make sure I do it right and I trust you all know. It might just be me so is there an easy way for one person to do it or does it really need two for someone new to this test? The videos I saw had two people, one inside cycling the key and the other monitoring the gauge. Thanks again for all the help. This is a good forum unlike some others for these trucks that are a little hostile or lack willing members.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pressure spec on the Vortec BIG block is 58-62 psi; this is slightly less than the small block - it doesn't take that extra bump of pressure to run the actual individual injectors on the big block vs. the central injector/poppet valve arrangement on small block which has a spec of 60-66.

Hook gauge to test port and have a helper turn your key on but do not start the engine. You're watching for initial pressure reading then also what it does when the system loses prime. If it falls off immediately that's suspect. (Most TBI's will fall off immediately but I expect the Vortec holds prime for a while, IF I recall correctly).

Crank it up and watch the pressure at idle, then again as you bump the throttle. Should stay within the spec and possibly spike a tiny bit on the bump.

At your mileage I wouldn't expect pressure issues but it's always good to know. Could have got some bad fuel and clogged the filter, even damaged the pump, particularly if the truck sat for several months+ with fuel in it, modern fuel goes bad quickly and is becomes very corrosive from water absorption due to the ethanol content.

Let it sit a while before removing the test gauge. Wad up a paper towel around the area so that you don't end up with a little puddle of fuel under the plenum, because it will spray a small amount when you take the hose off. (that's of course assuming your gauge doesn't have a pressure release on it)

Richard