need some help. vss issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
been working on my cousins truck. 94 c1500, 350 4l60?. spedometer quit working and wouldnt shift. no big deal threw a new vss in there, but still no different. cant manually shift it, because of a jacked up ratchet shifter. what fuses run the vss or the trans? im thinking it something electrical. thanks in advance!

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pigtail is bad about coming apart in the insulation. If not, these can be a pain in the rear. The VSS goes to the DRAC, it's behind the glove compartment (little white box). The DRAC gets 12 volts from the ignition. It goes from the drac to the PCM, cruise, speedo head, and ABS.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think the gear that the sensor reads in the trans is messed up. whenever i pulled the sensor out, there was ALOT of metal shavings stuck to it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can feel the gear with your finger, but I doubt that will be your problem. The sensor has a magnet on it that after 20 years will pick up a ton of metal. They are usually pretty thick with fine metal. I've never seem one of those gears go bad though.