Need New Tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
So with this recent snow storm we just received in north eastern Wisconsin I found that my tires where really bad in the snow, even in a dusting of snow. I looked at a picture of my current tires brand new and they look a lot different lol.

My needs out of a tire:

-Has to be good in the snow.
-Has to be good in the mud.
-Has to be ok in the rain (shouldn't be much of an issue form most tires).
-Road noise isn't to much of an issue but I don't want anything obnoxious.
-Has to last at least 40k if not 50k miles.

Is the LT rating necessary? or will a P tire be ok?

Here are the tires I have narrowed my search down to:

The Cooper ST MAXX for $883 balanced and installed. This tire is 10 ply with 3 ply sidewall and is load range E.

You must be registered for see images attach

Or the Cooper AT3 in P rating for $700 balanced and installed or in LT load range E rating for $740 balanced and installed.

The Cooper ST MAXX is "snow flake" rated meaning it is supposed to be good int the snow. From what I have read it is and it last around 50-60k miles.

The AT3 is not snow flake rated.

Which one would you get? also please post your tire set up and how you liked it, how much it was, etc.

Thanks

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
general grabber at2 - it's a knock off BFG allterrain, and they are awesome. I know people that ran these over 60000 miles. They are quiet and wear nice with a good alignment

my other best choice is a Hankook Dynapro ATM - I have them on my wifes kia, and after 40,000 miles they look like brand new. awesome in snow, great in rain, and they have lasted a long time. I bet ill easily get another 30000 miles out of them. they are relatively quiet too.

the cooper maxx you listed will probably be whiney as the tread is spaced apart, but it will be minimal. the at3 will be quieter and probably last longer. read online reviews before you buy.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been running the Hankook dynapro ATM on my dodge 2500 for years now. Great all around tire for any condition. I have a similar set of Nitto graplers on my k3500 and the gravel roads have chewed them up terribly. The Hankooks have never shown any gravel "rash".

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So with this recent snow storm we just received in north eastern Wisconsin I found that my tires where really bad in the snow, even in a dusting of snow. I looked at a picture of my current tires brand new and they look a lot different lol.

My needs out of a tire:

-Has to be good in the snow.
-Has to be good in the mud.
-Has to be ok in the rain (shouldn't be much of an issue form most tires).
-Road noise isn't to much of an issue but I don't want anything obnoxious.
-Has to last at least 40k if not 50k miles.

Is the LT rating necessary? or will a P tire be ok?

Here are the tires I have narrowed my search down to:

The Cooper ST MAXX for $883 balanced and installed. This tire is 10 ply with 3 ply sidewall and is load range E.

Or the Cooper AT3 in P rating for $700 balanced and installed or in LT load range E rating for $740 balanced and installed.

The Cooper ST MAXX is "snow flake" rated meaning it is supposed to be good int the snow. From what I have read it is and it last around 50-60k miles.

The AT3 is not snow flake rated.

Which one would you get? also please post your tire set up and how you liked it, how much it was, etc.

Thanks
You have Alot of contradicting wants there haha. And yes you need an LT tire. It is a truck after all

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I'm vouching for the Hankook Dynapros too! I have them in 285/75/r16 and I have zero complaints! Yes I've only put 2,000 miles on them so far but through mud, snow, an rain they haven't disappointed. Cost was well worth it for me at $750 mounted/balanced

Sent from my 5.7 powered iPhone

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the stt maxxs. Falken wildpeaks are a good tire too

sent from my glade air freshner

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have experience with the Cooper AT3's on my K1500 and they seem to do great in snow and mud for me, and I have Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my '06 TrailBlazer and been good in snow and muddy slopes.