need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madd Tinkerer

Reaction score
thank you , been really thinking of finding a better rear end since this truck is a daily and earns it keep . was thinking maybe if it would fit something a little newer year away from the famous g80 gm made . bone yard hunting is not an issue and little hard work can be rewarding . any suggest on what to get , or stay away from . thinking its time to hands dirty before I am walking .

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The common upgrade some folks here will give you (including myself) is to upgrade axle to a 14 bolt 9.5" 6 lug. Those came in the 2500 "light duty" version that had 6 lug wheels. It's a stronger axle and has better brakes. And those usually had 3.73 gears, so good axle for towing and improved acceleration.

Swap is super easy on a 4x4 1500 because it already has 6 lugs. Rear axle is a direct swap, just need conversion u joint and new u-bolts.

On the 2wd, you'll need to swap the front spindles/rotors/calipers to convert to 6 lug all around, in addition to rear axle.

My brother did this swap on his 90 C1500. Donor was a C2500 LD from 96 or so.

His old axle had 3.08 open differential. His swapped axle had 3.73/G80. The G80 on the heavier axles seem less problematic in my observations.

He spent around $400 in all, and has mentioned it was the best swap on a "happy face-to-dollar" ratio, if you know what I mean.;)

He's got the only 6 lug C1500 I've seen locally, LOL.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there is nothing wrong with the pinion bearings pinion and ring all you need is a new crush washer and pinion seal.
If it’s high mile and never been touched it’s probably a good idea to get a bearing and seal kit. The gears and axle
Shafts could be reused if they aren’t worn out or grooved. A new set isn’t that expensive.
Buying a used axle unless it’s out of a low mile truck makes no sense because you could be buying something as bad or possibly worse. Way I see it nobody junks a good running truck. If you find a low mile wrecked one it may be worth while. The lug pattern will be different so you’ll need to Cary a adapter or swap to 6 Lug wheels and front hubs and brake rotors and possibly calipers which will add a tremendous amount on top of the axle costs. So there isn’t any cost savings there imo.
Setting up axle gears isn’t for the uninitiated. Yiu can destroy a new set of gears or have horrendous noise if not set up right. AFAIK most shops do not allow customer to provide their own parts. Some do but it’s rare

Last edited:

Madd Tinkerer

Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice one this problem and I beginning to edge toward doing the swap to the 6 lug wheels since this is a daily driver plus work truck . I have just one question have seen both full floating and semi floating axels and would not know which one would be the best bang for the buck .I do plan to drive the truck till I cannot get any parts for it or some idiot decides to take it out . As for price it comes out about the same with the other work the truck would need in the front end .Complete brake work wheels bearings plus four tires

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just one question have seen both full floating and semi floating axels and would not know which one would be the best bang for the buck .
There are two common semi-float axles, the weakass, trouble-prone 8.5" ring gear unit, and the very sturdy 9.5" ring gear unit.

Full-float axles will be even bigger and heavier--the 10.5" ring gear axle is a monster. There are bigger axles still, but they're way less common.

If this truck is a 1500, the 9.5" axle is plenty.

Madd Tinkerer

Reaction score
in my research that would be the gt4 option. Example:
4x2, semi-floating, 6 lug wheel, 3.73 ratio (opt GT4) would this be the the 9.5" axel . I am making a parts listened getting the items before committing to the project since once I start I stuck walking till its done . Also how do I find out what u joint conversion I need ?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my research that would be the gt4 option. Example:
4x2, semi-floating, 6 lug wheel, 3.73 ratio (opt GT4) would this be the the 9.5" axel . I am making a parts listened getting the items before committing to the project since once I start I stuck walking till its done . Also how do I find out what u joint conversion I need ?
GT4 is the gear ratio. Could be 3.73 in an 8.5" axle, or 3.73 in a 9.5" axle, or 3.73 in a 10.5" axle.

You'll know 8.5" axle by the ten-bolt cover. 9.5" axle by the 14-bolt cover and LACK of "full float" wheel hubs. 10.5" axle has 14-bolt cover, WITH "full float" hubs. I guess later axle assemblies--2012-newer, maybe--had different number of bolts.

With the 4WD, the conversion joint is Precision 447 or equivalent. I have no reason to believe the 2WD is different.

Madd Tinkerer

Reaction score
update on this project going forward. so far I grab a great deal on 4 rim and tires , tire hold air but do have some weather cracks 50 for the set . looking at about 120 for the front parts but will expect to be putting some new with them but will pick up for cores if need to replace . biggest cost over all I see will be the rear end .