Need help with a simple electrical switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to wire up a toggle switch. I got this from radio shack and it has a diagram on the back, but I don't understand it. Ultimately I will be installing this in my car to control a relay which will control an intercooler pump. Right now I'm just messing around with a battery and some test leads and a little led light strip.

I can get the switch to work to control the light strip, but the switch is also supposed to have a small red light while in the off position and a small green light when in the on position. I can't seem to get this to work properly.

If anyone can draw me a simple diagram I would appreciate it. Here is the diagram on the packaging, but as stated, I just don't understand it. Note, there are only pins on position 1, 2, and 4. Position 3 is not there and not used.
You must be registered for see images attach

Any help appreciated.

haggus99

Reaction score
1 and 2 are your toggle switch L should be a constant 12v source 1 and 4 are connected to the load which is what you want to turn on and off. Led require lower voltage and usually have a diode to regulate the voltage. This diagram does not show them. One other thing L and N in my experience are usually seen in AC circuits not DC not sure if this is the issue if you have access to an AC source it would be black to L and white to N.

+ twelve volts goes to ACC from battery
- twelve volts goes to ground from battery
Power on terminal on switch goes to + connection on lights or whatever you hook to.

Here is the catch, for the LED's on the switch to work you must run a second -ground to the lights or whatever you hook up from the -/ground on the battery. So that will be two -/grounds from the battery. One to switch and one to lights or whatever.

pin 1: This is the pin on the side. Attach this to ground.

pin 2: This is your output to your device. (ACC)

pin 3: This is your power source.

Last edited:

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, there are 2 separate grounds. There is the ground for the switch, and the ground for the light strip. Do they both ground separately, or does the ground of the light strip go to the pin 4?

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
if the switch does not lite up with the switch turned on then it probably has a power input for the led.
but why not just take the switch back to radio shack and ask them how the hell to wire it up.LOL

or just pick out a easier to wire switch! who needs a red light when off and green when on anyways? i just need a light showing its on!
http://www.oznium.com/switches
i really like the looks of the chrome lighted push button switches they have! havent tried them yet tho.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a fundamental problem with my desktop lab. I'm putting all the grounds to the neg of my battery. Could this cause it to not function properly?

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the switch does not lite up with the switch turned on then it probably has a power input for the led.
but why not just take the switch back to radio shack and ask them how the hell to wire it up.LOL

or just pick out a easier to wire switch! who needs a red light when off and green when on anyways? i just need a light showing its on!
http://www.oznium.com/switches
i really like the looks of the chrome lighted push button switches they have! haven't tried them yet tho.

The one decent guy at the radio shack isn't there any more. So no dice for actual circuit help. As far as needing/wanting the red/green light it's just preference. Although I got a different illuminated switch to test as well, that is supposed to illuminate while on and Can't seem to get that to work either.