need help. truck isnt running right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92gmcshorty

Reaction score
ok so i have a 93 gmc 2wd 305 at. the truck is not running right. it idles perfect but soon as you try to give it the gas it stumbles and falls all over its self. ive replaced the air and fuel filter, plugs,wires,cap ,rotor and coil, along with the injectors , map sensor and o2 . i thought it might be the pump but it checked out ok. the only thing that i can think of is that the coolent over flow keeps getting oil in it. when i first got the truck i thought some one just put something in the wrong place but ive cleaned it out twice and its came back both times. so what im thinking is that the head gasket went and is dumping coolent into the cylinder and also mixing oil with the coolent. does this sound bout right? there is no external leaks of any kind. please let me know what you think.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i have a 93 gmc 2wd 305 at. the truck is not running right. it idles perfect but soon as you try to give it the gas it stumbles and falls all over its self. ive replaced the air and fuel filter, plugs,wires,cap ,rotor and coil, along with the injectors , map sensor and o2 . i thought it might be the pump but it checked out ok. the only thing that i can think of is that the coolent over flow keeps getting oil in it. when i first got the truck i thought some one just put something in the wrong place but ive cleaned it out twice and its came back both times. so what im thinking is that the head gasket went and is dumping coolent into the cylinder and also mixing oil with the coolent. does this sound bout right? there is no external leaks of any kind. please let me know what you think.

If you are getting oil in the coolant, the oil is coming from a pressurized source so my guess would be the oil cooler in the radiator. If the headgasket went and was mixing coolant with oil you would have coolant in your oil pan.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

92gmcshorty

Reaction score
my truck dosent have a built in oil cooler. can someone help me that knows MORE about these trucks than i do. just cuz it says newbe on my profile dosent mean im stupid. im trying to diag it with out tearing into the motor.

xredge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do a compression check sounds like it could be a blown head gasket. With blown head gaskets and/or cracked heads I've had oil in the antifreeze, antifreeze in the oil, and in both.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my truck dosent have a built in oil cooler. can someone help me that knows MORE about these trucks than i do. just cuz it says newbe on my profile dosent mean im stupid. im trying to diag it with out tearing into the motor.

Well, seeing as how you are new to this site, we really don't know what you know, do we? Giving you a simple explanation is far from treating you like you are stupid. It is much better to cover the basics now than to think about it later after you have thrown money away trying to cover everything but the simple solutions. You asked for what we think, so don't bite somebody's head off when they give you exactly that.

Paul is right about the oil in your coolant vs. coolant in your oil. If you don't have a milkshake in your oilpan, then what you may be seeing is ATF in your coolant, which after mixing with water may not still look red. It is possible to get oily residue in the coolant with a blown head gasket or cracked head, but more likely with a cracked cylinder. You may wish to check your coolant for the presence of combustion gasses with the test kits available at most parts stores. A compression test would also help to weed out a head gasket, in which case you should not have more than ten percent variation between cylinders. If you find a severe drop, you have a winner. Aside from that, look for a wet (with water, not fuel) spark plug or one that is extremely clean (steam cleaned). If you have none of the above symptoms, and you didn't mention any overheating, then you probably don't have a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder, or cracked head.

Back to the simple stuff: You mentioned that the fuel pump checked out OK. I assume that means that you checked your fuel pressure. If so, what pressure did you get? It should be between 11 and 13 PSI. If not, check power and ground at the pump and replace it if necessary. Have you checked the resistance of the throttle position sensor? If not, check it for sweep and continuity, meaning that the resistance does increase with sweep and that there are no dead spots. Replace if it doesn't check out. Is your timing set right? It should be at zero degrees witht the wire unplugged. Did this problem just suddenly occur, or is it something that came on gradually and has gotten worse over time?

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
off topic but if I could give you rep right now Travis I would! haha you're clearly a vast source of knowledge, well done! :handshake:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no over heating. previous owner did no maintanace for 140k. still had the factory wires which is why so many things got replaced.

That's understandable, most people don't bother doing maintenance until a problem crops up. Run the tests I mentioned above and see what you find, as you may get the answer you're looking for.