Need help running power and ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1988c2500

Reaction score
Ok,heres my problem,I have this 1988 Chevy c-2500 and i want to install a small system in it,nothing much just 2 12 inch Dual audio subs(I know not the best but it's a work in progress)I need help running the power and ground through the firewall,does anyone have a picture of where they installed their wire?I thought about running it under the truck but dont want to short out my truck,firtst truck and i want to make it look nice
You must be registered for see images attach
Here are some pics of it but the primer is all on,these are old pics

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any pics, but when I ran my 0ga power wire through my firewall I just drilled a hole on the passenger side right below the A/C components and ran the wire under the carpet (or in my case vinyl). Make sure you drill the correct size hole so that you can use a rubber or plastic grommet around the wire, thus preventing it from wobbling around and wearing through the jacketing. Also not sure why you're talking about running a ground to/from the engine compartment, that's not a good practice at all. Every amp you use needs it's own grounding point, using the same gauge wire as it's power connection, and preferably no more than three feet long. To ground an amp you just find a suitable spot close by on the body of your truck, scuff the paint off of said spot, drill a hole and ground to that.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I don't have a pic handy, but on my 89 there is a small yellow plug under the AC lines on the pass side of the firewall. I popped that plug out, trimmed the plug to fit my wiring and ran it back through. You can run that wire strait up the firewall to the power distribution block. Ground it to the seat bracket bolts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but I'm not a big fan of grounding to existing bolts like that. If you did that correctly from an electrical standpoint then you'd have to bolt the ring terminal on your ground wire below the seat bracket onto bare metal after you sanded the paint off. If you did this, your seat bracket would then sit a couple millimeters higher on one corner. I've grounded a few smaller wires to existing body bolts but always in VERY low current applications and always making sure that the terminals are in contact with bare metal, no paint.

1988c2500

Reaction score
My truck has vinyl as well and its a pain to work with but yea thanks for the advice,wasn't sure where to run it but will have to check if i can run near the a/c unit,thank you