NBS starter on an '89 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave22

Reaction score
Right, I'm not new to forums but I'm new to this one so if this is asking something that's already been covered I apologize.

I've got an '89 RCSB with the L05 and the big old direct drive starter has moved on to greener pastures. In my research I found this thread here:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?2476-Starter-interchange

So I went out and got a gear reduction starter for a 2005 4.3 truck. It bolted in no problem with the original bolts but I can't get it to engage. I can't find a shim kit for the little guy so I tried various combinations of washers with no really happy result. Just different bad toothy sounds. So what am I missing? Special shims? Newer bolts? Common sense?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm that's strange, I have swapped several NBS 4.3 starters on to the 88-98 body style with a v-8 with no issues, 2 questions, did the old starter make any strange noises before it quit and how do the teeth on the Flexplate/flywheel look?

dave22

Reaction score
Teeth look fine. It didn't make any strange noises. Just worked intermittently, then quit altogether. The noises I'm hearing now definitely sound like the teeth aren't fully engaging.

Do you reuse the bolts or get the shorter ones for the smaller starter?