My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Today's progress!

The Energy Suspension bushings were crazy easy to install. Highly recommended.

Compared the brand new Bilstein to the 1k mile (give or take a couple hundred miles), run for only a month KYB Excel-G. About twice as stiff, with 2x-3x the rebound. No wonder it's the preferred shock on these trucks.

She's finally coming back together!

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_131511.jpg
    IMG_20230430_131511.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230430_202429.jpg
    IMG_20230430_202429.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 23

Dravec

Reaction score
Did you do uppers and lowers?
Yup. But with the amount of times I had to run back into town today for stupid $#!+, I ran out of daylight to get the upper in. So I'll do that tomorrow, and then tackle the driver's side as well. I'll have the lower arm for that side pre-built tomorrow morning before I start on that. Then suffer through the upper, and boom. Front end upgrade done. Then I'll just need the tie rod ends and the center link installed. Pitman and idler arm/bracket are already done.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you have to remove the front diff for the R&R on the control arms? You're doing EVERYTHING I've got planned for both of my trucks, and it's got me equally dreading and being excited for the work that'll be done.

Dravec

Reaction score
Did you have to remove the front diff for the R&R on the control arms? You're doing EVERYTHING I've got planned for both of my trucks, and it's got me equally dreading and being excited for the work that'll be done.
Yup. And the diff is a massive pain to get out. Limited space to turn the wrenches, plus it's heavy and awkwardly shaped. Not really looking forward to getting that reinstalled. But other wise it ain't terrible. You could honestly probably get away with unbolting the bottom mounts, loosening the uppers, and just swing it down out of the way. Unless your doing the oil pan gasket or motor mounts. Then it's gotta come all the way out.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. And the diff is a massive pain to get out. Limited space to turn the wrenches, plus it's heavy and awkwardly shaped. Not really looking forward to getting that reinstalled. But other wise it ain't terrible. You could honestly probably get away with unbolting the bottom mounts, loosening the uppers, and just swing it down out of the way. Unless your doing the oil pan gasket or motor mounts. Then it's gotta come all the way out.
Looking good. What shocks are those?

I cheated and left the diff hanging on the opposite side's upper bolt. Still a PITA though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

The differential doesn't have to come out to do control arms. I assume you're thinking of the bolt clearance issue that's often mentioned on the lowers. I tried to pull my differential, but I was having issues with hand tools doing so.... clearance, but I don't recall exactly what. I ended up pulling the stub axles one at a time. I think when pulling the stub axles you're supposed to be in 4x4, so something doesn't fall inside, but I could be wrong. I did this in 07-ish.