My first car, an 89 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be a good option other than stock? My muffler has pin holes through it, and if I'm gonna replace it I might as well make it better.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know anything about the noise in the transmission? It rattles pretty loud when in neutral and in higher rpms in gear. Is this something I should be worried about? This truck might have to make a 3000 mile road trip with a trailer in a few months and I want to have it in top shape before then.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know anything about the noise in the transmission? It rattles pretty loud when in neutral and in higher rpms in gear. Is this something I should be worried about? This truck might have to make a 3000 mile road trip with a trailer in a few months and I want to have it in top shape before then.
Need to look inside and check for cracked flex plate.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, there is an inspection cover to remove. Then light it up. Rotate the flex plate and look for cracks radiating out from the attaching bolts. They typically show rust on those cracks or are a different color than the metal around it. Also, you can elevate the front end and check to see if the starter drive gear is sliding back and ticking against the flex plate teeth.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be a bearing since it only rattles when you let out the clutch in neutral

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be a bearing since it only rattles when you let out the clutch in neutral
Ok, correction. I was thinking automatic transmission when I said flex plate. Disregard what I said. The cover being off is not good because it allows debris to get up in there. Check the starter drive gear though. Just reach up and see if it will slide all by itself. It should not. I think you could have a throw out bearing making noise though or the pressure plate springs or the clutch disc springs. Sorry about the misinformation about the flex plate. I have never seen the flywheel crack where the attaching bolts are. You do not have a flex plate.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be a good option other than stock? My muffler has pin holes through it, and if I'm gonna replace it I might as well make it better.
My brother has a 2013 silverado with the 4.3, he's been through a couple different exhausts and I prefer either the flowmaster super 10 or just delete the muffler, either aren't that loud and definitely sound better than stock. ( just don't delete the cats and the muffler, he did and it sounds horrible :nono: )