My Brakes Suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I don't know anything about brakes, but basically, I have to completely stomp on the brakes for anything to happen. Takes forever to stop. Cant even lock up on ice. What do I need to replace?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Hmm, I would start at the pedal and work all the way to the rear axle. :doh2:

Seriously though, without knowing what your issues are, it's hard to say what you need. If you bring it to a shop like Canadian Tire, or like they can do an inspection / brake estimate at a fairly reasonable cost or even free.

Check to see if there is any fluid in the master cylinder for starters, if there is fluid there, you may have seizing / seized wheel cylinders and calipers.

Chances are if you haven't changed any brake lines ( being in Manitoba ) you will most likely need to change them if you have to change wheel cylinders. Hoses don't last forever either, they crack and dry rot. The line from the front of the truck to the back runs in between the fuel tank and the frame, it's a pain to get to and a good idea to change if you have the system open, so you can drive for a few years without having to change it in the future.

I would use coated brake line, they will last much longer in the salt, compared to un-coated steel line. If you don't have a flaring tool kit for brake line, you may be able to rent one or buy one for $ 40 or so.

If the rotors haven't been changed and suffer from rust, they are easy to change on a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton are a bit more difficult.

Lastly, unless you have an assortment of tools, a jack, jack stands, somewhere warm to work and are willing to ask questions and research, take it to someone else that can do it for you.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hmm, I would start at the pedal and work all the way to the rear axle. :doh2: .

Lol! Welcome to GMT400World!

Seriously though, without knowing what your issues are, it's hard to say what you need. If you bring it to a shop like Canadian Tire, or like they can do an inspection / brake estimate at a fairly reasonable cost or even free.

Check to see if there is any fluid in the master cylinder for starters, if there is fluid there, you may have seizing / seized wheel cylinders and calipers.

Chances are if you haven't changed any brake lines ( being in Manitoba ) you will most likely need to change them if you have to change wheel cylinders. Hoses don't last forever either, they crack and dry rot. The line from the front of the truck to the back runs in between the fuel tank and the frame, it's a pain to get to and a good idea to change if you have the system open, so you can drive for a few years without having to change it in the future.

I would use coated brake line, they will last much longer in the salt, compared to un-coated steel line. If you don't have a flaring tool kit for brake line, you may be able to rent one or buy one for $ 40 or so.

If the rotors haven't been changed and suffer from rust, they are easy to change on a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton are a bit more difficult.

Lastly, unless you have an assortment of tools, a jack, jack stands, somewhere warm to work and are willing to ask questions and research, take it to someone else that can do it for you.

Agreed!
Only thing about places like Canadian Tire is that once they get you in the door, they're gonna want to either try to sell you something that you can do yourself, or, if the brakes really need some attention, because they are the last licensed shop to do an inspection they may not let you drive it out the door. Liability thing. Tow truck or flatdeck.
No cinder blocks!!!
I'm not much for ramps. (Useless with lowered trucks, anyhow!) Use them jackstands!!!

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Assuming you have fluid in the master cylinder and you have good pads/rotors and shoes/drums, I would suspect something in the master cylinder/booster area. Could be the brake booster is leaking vacuum, the booster check valve is bad, or the master cylinder is bypassing the seals because of wear. If your truck is idling and in park, if you press hard on the brake pedal and hold it, does it sink to the floor? If so, and there are no leaks in the system, then it means your master cylinder is worn out.

Reaction score
Time for the NBS swap then! It's about the same price anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk