My 99 2500 ccsb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Right now I have the 98 extended cab, 99 crew cab, the 99 Tahoe that's on the trailer and a 97 Yukon. I will be selling all but the CCSB soon.

I have a few things I want to tidy up on the 98 before selling, and fix up some electrical quirks that have surfaced.

And some non-gmt400 stuff.

Your in deep buddy! Hahah, the OBS is strong in this one

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy, I was looking at that Crew Cab last week on Kijiji haha. I'm on the hunt for one.

Good luck in your search. Lots come up in the $6000 to $8000 range that are quite nice. This one had been listed for a long time and wasn't moving at their asking price... So they increased their asking price $1000.. I don't get it either. They were very unwilling to hear that what they thought their truck was worth was not what the market was willing to bear..

I also passed up on a 00 2500 with cloth seats and power windows that the guy was only asking $1k for in Drumheller. It had some paint peeling issues and the engine knocked for a half second on startup.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck in your search. Lots come up in the $6000 to $8000 range that are quite nice. This one had been listed for a long time and wasn't moving at their asking price... So they increased their asking price $1000.. I don't get it either. They were very unwilling to hear that what they thought their truck was worth was not what the market was willing to bear..

I also passed up on a 00 2500 with cloth seats and power windows that the guy was only asking $1k for in Drumheller. It had some paint peeling issues and the engine knocked for a half second on startup.

Crazy, Im kicking myself for passing on an 00 2500 with a 454 this winter, Mint shape with only 150k for $5000

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, checked fluids, greased it and drove it to BC no problem. Also pulled that bumper cover and changed Tstat before we left I guess.

Most threads I read say that you can get 12-14 mpg (US gallon) out of a well maintained 454 truck/Burb. This truck got 14.6 mpg between Kindersley and Calgary! I was pretty pumped. Drove nicely, just set cruise at 110km/h. Had to do almost no passing. The big block is not fast but it lugged up Drumheller valley at 80km/h at 1400rpm. For some hills in the mountains the truck would step down a gear and bump the rpm up to 1900. The big block is definitely different to me! It can be a little hard starting at times but not enough to be a concern for this trip. I'll check the rotor, injectors, distributor, FPR when I get home.

You must be registered for see images attach

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I received a quote from a muffler shop to do the exhaust on my truck. $475, maintaining the factory tailpipe, utilizing a Flowmaster 50 muffler and installing new cats.

I find this to be a pretty reasonable price and I am willing to pay it. The shop is very reputable in my area.

So the question I have now is - do I install the cats? My understanding is that deleting the downstream o2 sensors will not affect the A/F but it will throw a code. Some of the money I save by not installing cats, approx $250, would go towards having the code deleted. Or is it possible to delete the code from this PCM? I have only really worked with the newer Gen III and IV Chevs in terms of tuning.

What to do?

Thanks

Last edited:

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you just have ths shop weld bunges in the exhaust and have it not throw codes? Also I've heard that if your o2 sensor goes or is removed the engine can run poorly. And as long as you province or states doesnt require emissions you should be fine without cats

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading on the vortech 454 thread on fullsize chevy that deleting the cats showed no performance gain. I have to run them here for emissions.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Flowmaster 50 done and cats deleted. The muffler shop wasn't exactly clear (or perhaps they were intentionally misleading) when providing the quote. Came in 25% over what was quoted.

Anyway, I had a leak that I thought was thermostat housing since I had just done the tstat. But I had the stupid rad petcock that takes a 1/4" drive and was stripped, so I pulled my fan, rad shroud and lifted the rad in order to replace the rad petcock. Turns out the leak was the upper rad hose just above the tstat housing. So I resealed the tstat housing and cut an inch off that rad hose. Replaced everything. Added coolant. It got hot while running it, so I shut it down to try to burp some air out of the system better.

Well I looked under the hood and the little fitting in the intake manifold for the heater hose was bubbling. Wiggled it and it broke right off at the threads. ****! Its that cheap pot metal garbage. So I chipped some of it off but it wouldn't break loose from the threads so I tried to use a screw extractor... Broke the f'n intake manifold. Small crack, repairable, but not without pulling the intake. Shiet!

Nothing else to update. I put plates on my 98 again. I haven't really been happy with the 454 so far. Its such a dog. I am considering a mild build on the 454 or building and swapping in a ~450hp LQ4.

Here is one from just before the exhaust job.

I will probably swap hitches. The one on my 98 is so much more hidden.