My 88 Daily Driver Restoration RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is how I would like the bracket mounted to the rear bumper bracket
You must be registered for see images

When I took the pictures I messed up and aimed the brackets down but they will be aimed up like in the pic above.
Edit: I rotated the pictures to make it look how I'm talking about.

If I wanted to mount them under the bracket they would be hanging.
Rotated:

If I wanted to mount them on top of the bracket they would be hidden completely (I think).
Rotated:

Last edited:

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, keep up the work. This summer I'm going to add a distribution/Junction box to my 91' aswell. Seeing a ton of wires coming off the positive post drives me crazy.

A 305 is a total dog so good call on that. Where was your tach wire located at? I tapped into my coil wire for my tach (10+ years ago) still working good but back then I never thought to look for a oem blunt cut wire.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey 90W7 thanks, the vortec 350 block with TBI heads they put in it really brought back the 350 power she had when I was younger. I agree with you on the many wires. I just want 3 tops: the starter, the alternator and the junction block. When I finish the harness I'll put it on the distribution block :). I read online that it was around the distributor. I found a wire and a wad of electrical tape on it, in the tape was a oem male connector. Here's the pic of my wire:

Last edited:

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the vendor images of the led volt meter I bought on Amazon.

It's small so it'll be easy looking for a spot for it.

We got it green to go with the moonie gauges we have. I wanted to see if I can hook it up to the dimmer switch to let it dim with the dash lights.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the vendor images of the led volt meter I bought on Amazon.

It's small so it'll be easy looking for a spot for it.

We got it green to go with the moonie gauges we have. I wanted to see if I can hook it up to the dimmer switch to let it dim with the dash lights.
that's a really clean digital readout, my gears are turning just thinking about all the places where I'd mount it. My volt gauge works fine but I really want that now hah. Let us know if it's dimmable.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll post up results when I find out if it's dimmable, it should be getting here tomorrow, I love Amazon prime shipping lol

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much has happened here, I haven't tried setting up the volt meter to see if its dimmable. What I did do was browse Craigslist locally and found a hitch, it had part number #15724874. I googled that and it came out to be for the 92 suburban. It was an unbeatable price so I purchased it... lol now I don't know if it would fit my '88. I took some pictures under the truck but have no clue if it would fit. I saw the rear bumper is mounted oddly with a weird bracket. If it doesn't fit I was thinking of probably drilling some holes on the part that mounts on the frame.

Here is the picture of the bracket. The main problem that I can see I'll run into is the rivet for the spare tire.

On the downside, the truck wont start without the throttle fully depressed and once I let go of the gas it turns off; and college classes start on Tuesday so not much is going to happen to the truck. :(

Last edited:

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder what happened to make it not start.

Quick question on your new 350:

So it's a vortec long block essentially with TBI heads, intake and the throttle body obviously. Now did you have to get a new prom chip or any other modifications to make the engine run or is there not enough difference to where the stock computer can't run it?

Don't feel bad on the trucks progress, a little here and there is better than nothing.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey 90W7, when I took it in to a shop for the engine he said that the block was from a 5.7 vortec. The short block they put in it was just a drop in; minus the heads and intake which were TBI. He told me that if I wanted the full vortec is have to change the computer and some harness. The only thing done was reset the computer by pulling the battery for a while. Ran great for a while, thenI hit a bump on the road(when concrete turns to Tarmac) and the truck turned off on me. Wife picked me up in her moms car and went to buy a tow strap. By the time we got back to the truck it fired up and limped home. It stayed like that for a while. Then we drove the truck down the street to pick up some thick glass for a small showcase and when we were driving back it was acting like a misfire or a clog in the gas line. I revved it for a while and then bam, dead when I let go of the throttle. Wouldn't start after that. The fuel pump relay tab had broken years ago so the relay was just bouncing around. We had to replace the fuel relay cause it sounded like everything inside the relay was loose and the fuel fuse looked good. After the block install they told me to change out my belt tensioner, thermostat(since I don't have one), and fan clutch. I changed the tensioner but not the thermostat or fan clutch.

Last edited: