My 1997 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I put the 2" drop on the rear a few weeks ago and when I had it up in the air I noticed a problem. The frame is twisting more than it should. Did some research on it and was lead to the cross members. Turns out that one of them has some rivets that are loose. Called body shop that is going to fix the "Chevy Sag" and he told me to just knock the rivets out and put some bolts in their place.

So yesterday I pulled the bed off of it to make it easier to work on. I am going to put some grade 8 bolts in the cross member that has the bad rivets.

The frame is covered in surface rust. No rust damage, just surface. So when I get it back from the frame shop I am going to plate it to box the frame under the back of the cab so that it will never sag again. I bought some undercoating to paint the frame with to prevent any rust. Any comments on spraying the frame with undercoating or about boxing the frame for added strength?

Will post some pics later.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plating your frame will greatly help to stiffen the frame, also I would ditch the original rear crossmember it's a piece of crap, and weld in new one I use 2x4 1/4 wall tubing at the rear just in board of the rear most bed bolt's and another just in front of the second to rear bed bolt's, it really ties the 2 frame rails together.