motor swap ?'s / other ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O.k so it's been a few years for me since I been on here......some people may remember me an some not.....o.k. so things have change for me an it's gonna allow me to get back into the gmt400 scene which I have been wanting to do since I sold my 93 ecsb...... So I have a family friend that has a 1995 gmc sierra 1500 SLE rcsb with a 5.0 305 motor an auto trans with 120,*** miles on it he bought it new from dealer it's in great shape no rust no where to be found does need tires.
First ?
Now he wants 5K do you think it's worth it ?
Second ?
I think I know the answer to my ? but just want to make sure.....
O.k. so with it being a 95 I know that's the year where things get weird an what not but my ? is If I wanted to do a motor swap can I reuse the wiring harness in the truck already an just swap out the motor/pcm with say a 98 vortec motor/pcm?
Thanks for any help guy's
Lance!!

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 95 an down are the easist to do the swap on.. you can leave all the stock wiring in the truck and cut out the stuff you dont need.. so basicly all you need is the water temp wire, oil pressure wire, tach wire, a/c wire, starter wire and the alt. wire... the rest can go! before you do the swap and pull your motor mark these wires with some tape and what they are.. the a/c compressor you can reuse.. power steering lines.. the trans will be ok and you just need to keep the speedo wires.. now go get a stand alone harness for the motor and it will run the motor and trans. you have to hook the speedo wires from the swap harness in with the ones on the trans so the new LS PCM will see MPH.. the fuel pump will need to be changed to a vortec 96 to 98 pump.. the truck already has a return line so dont let anyone talk you into running the vette filter.. you just need to buy the right fittings and you will be fine.. also some LS motors dont come with a return style fuel rail but can be changed to a return style rail and i would change it if your motor dont have it.. makes things so much easier and cheaper when it comes time to change fuel filters.. plus tuning is alot better..

anymore question i can anwser just ask away lol

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I can't just pull the 5.0/computer that's in there an put say a 5.7/computer from a 1998 in?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why would you want to put in a 98 PCM?? unless your trying to put a vortec 350 from a 98 then there is no need to do this..

if your going LS then you just need a 1999 to 2002 PCM that drive by wire... the LS PCM will do it all even the A/C if your good with wiring..

but im kinda lost on what your trying to do??

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
It it a vortec or tbi??? I forget the change year. If its a TBI won't he be missing sone wiring. Like that big connector to the spider? hell with it get a 98 350 change the heads out and use the TBI it flows better anyways.

Somebody chime in if I'm giving out faulse info.

Crewcab Steve.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Well there you go get a 350 and throw an aftermarket TBI intake on it and run!!!

Crewcab Steve.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lance it good 2 see u back I followed alot of ur threads when I first joined... U've been gone along time and Im kind of a big deal now... Jk.... 5k for a 95..? U know its not worth it... For 5K u can find a decent 98 and have 1k or 2k left...

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So all I would have to do is swap out the intake manifold correct?
Yeah I thought 5k was way to much I'm gonna try an get him down to atleast 4k.
The truck is is great shape inside an out it only would need tires.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillGen55