Mode door linkage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDurks2

Reaction score
I pulled a 1998 6.5 k2500 suburban out of a field. Fixing things as I go along. Mode door linkage above gas pedal is missing. No luck at jinkyards yet, anyone got a link for the whole thing to replace?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's two part #'s for the linkage, and GM never really is that great about helping you figure out what exactly is going on when looking them up. They show 2 figures of it but you can't tell if they're just illustrating front/back, or that both links are included in the single part #, making the two different part #'s for different applications (perhaps A/C and non-A/C) - but here's what they show:

"Mode Valve Link" # 52487131 $18.03

"Defroster Valve Link" # 52487132 $19.10

Both appear to be the same part across a very wide segment of 400's, from 2000 carryover models all the way back to 1992, so if you can't find them in stock somewhere, you still have a large variety of potential donor trucks.

Finally, the retainers - "Link Retainer" # 52469557 $5.99

GM appears to no longer service the earlier 1988-1991 trucks for these parts but I am fairly sure they are the same parts; not sure why they don't seem to list them.

By the way, the retainers are just push nuts, you could probably score them cheaper or at least more conveniently at the local auto parts, or even hardware store.

Here's a nice close-up of some linkages on a 1994 model, showing the gummy, dusty funk that builds up as the factory lube hardens and prevents the sliders from working properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Last edited:

JDurks2

Reaction score
There's two part #'s for the linkage, and GM never really is that great about helping you figure out what exactly is going on when looking them up. They show 2 figures of it but you can't tell if they're just illustrating front/back, or that both links are included in the single part #, making the two different part #'s for different applications (perhaps A/C and non-A/C) - but here's what they show:

"Mode Valve Link" # 52487131 $18.03

"Defroster Valve Link" # 52487132 $19.10

Both appear to be the same part across a very wide segment of 400's, from 2000 carryover models all the way back to 1992, so if you can't find them in stock somewhere, you still have a large variety of potential donor trucks.

Finally, the retainers - "Link Retainer" # 52469557 $5.99

GM appears to no longer service the earlier 1988-1991 trucks for these parts but I am fairly sure they are the same parts; not sure why they don't seem to list them.

By the way, the retainers are just push nuts, you could probably score them cheaper or at least more conveniently at the local auto parts, or even hardware store.

Here's a nice close-up of some linkages on a 1994 model, showing the gummy, dusty funk that builds up as the factory lube hardens and prevents the sliders from working properly.

Richard
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a diagram showing the part numbers that he referenced:

Here is a link to the GM part diagrams. You cannot order from them, but it helps when tracking down numbers for discontinued parts:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep it sure seems the two linkages are different part #'s depending on which "side" you need as they are slightly different; what's confusing is the diagram when you dive down into the specific part #, shows 2 figures on one part #. That's just got to be front and rear view, my best guess.

Richard

JDurks2

Reaction score
Update:
I had it almost all together and must have tugged on something. The upper rod want to slide out now. Time to pull the whole uvac box

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It just slides into a hole on the other end. I don’t remember a clip or anything holding it in on that end. You’d be doing it blind, but should be able to get it back into place unless the plastic on that hole is broken.

JDurks2

Reaction score
Yeah I played with it for a bit. Just going to bite the bullet.
I think this is the one Genuine GM 52467204 Air Distributor Upper Case
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s the one I’ve used, it comes with two of the three dampers already installed. A good product.

The third damper is this one:

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It just slides into a hole on the other end. I don’t remember a clip or anything holding it in on that end. You’d be doing it blind, but should be able to get it back into place unless the plastic on that hole is broken.

That little bit of apparent rust staining at the end of the shaft.. when it's installed all the way is there enough shaft sticking out for a fastener? It almost looks like something used to be there. Maybe not a push nut, but a hat nut? (Literally looks like a stamped steel hat, little dimples on the ID of it so it stays put when you shove it on)

Richard