Heater Mode Door issue/questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just pull the heater hoses at the firewall, that’ll get the bulk of it out.

The foam that I used was 1” thick which looked to be the same thickness as the old crumbly stuff that was on it. I just bought a rectangle of it, traced the old pattern onto it, cut out the holes and used spray adhesive to stick it back on.

You should replace the accumulator since you’ll have this opened up. The condenser-evaporator hose fitting seized on one of my trucks but not the other two, so that’s something to keep in mind. You might give it a “test turn” at the evaporator to see if it will budge and order accordingly. Really, though, I’d just replace it.

I’ll add that you’ll need to try to reuse the old gasket around the evaporator or create some new. Also transfer the metal screen behind it.

Thank you! I'm hoping that gasket is in good health. i just ordered a 16x12x1" piece of foam from Amazon so I am hoping that is big enough. We have a chance of getting snow on Friday night which is when I will be getting all of these parts so me getting this done is going to be cutting it close lol. Really hoping for no surprises with this.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just pull the heater hoses at the firewall, that’ll get the bulk of it out.

The foam that I used was 1” thick which looked to be the same thickness as the old crumbly stuff that was on it. I just bought a rectangle of it, traced the old pattern onto it, cut out the holes and used spray adhesive to stick it back on.

You should replace the accumulator since you’ll have this opened up. The condenser-evaporator hose fitting seized on one of my trucks but not the other two, so that’s something to keep in mind. You might give it a “test turn” at the evaporator to see if it will budge and order accordingly. Really, though, I’d just replace it.

I’ll add that you’ll need to try to reuse the old gasket around the evaporator or create some new. Also transfer the metal screen behind it.

I FINALLY got mine done. Was just going back through this thread and seen yours above. I TOTALLY forgot to transfer the screen over. How bad is that? This truck literally sees a few trips out hauling kayaks in the spring-fall, and plowing snow in the winter.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best guess, it helps capture condensation and allows it to drop down into the drain rather than blow into the ducts.

I’d probably just run with it and see what happens rather than take the whole dash down again. Worst case, it might get the blower resistor wet or start misting/dripping from the ducts?