Missing Piece of Steering Column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I recently bought a 94 K1500 4x4 5.7L, I was doing some maintnance today and checked for shaft play and I had a lot, but it was around where the shaft goes into the column. There was a piece of rubber in there that I'm guessing the previous owner used as a bandaid for the problem. My queston is, what is broke or missing and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, one of your spark plug boots is just hanging there not connected.

Second, if might be easier to upgrade to an XJ steering shaft, plenty of postings on here and on the net in general.

Reaction score
Thanks for noticing the boot, I was in the middle of a full tune up when I snapped the pic.

I have an XJ shaft ready that I can put in, however I don't think that would solve my issue. The rag joint seems to be fine, I could be wrong, however the shaft where it looks in the other pic like it runs over the thick wire loom appears to be missing a bearing or fitting of some kind. Here's a crappy ms paint diagram of more specifically what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Here's a better picture I found. Disregard the red circle, I have determined that what goes between the column and shaft in the blue circle is a bearing assembly. All I currently have in that location is the clip and the shaft. Does anyone know the part numbers needed or is this going to be dealer only?

Last edited: