Misfire and rough running 98 k2500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxcob

Reaction score
So as the title states, I have a 98 k2500 rclb Silverado with the l31 5.7 and nv4500. Bought the truck in January with 198k miles in pretty good shape, did full fluids change, fuel filter, one front hub, oil change, coolant swap to uni green, new thermostat/radiator, cap and rotor, etc. Just little stuff here and there, new brake pads, brake lines, adjusting rear brakes, t case output seal otherwise very reliable and fun to drive. Never lost any oil according to the dipstick either.

Recently did the spider to mpfi conversion and that truly did help drivability and engine issues smoother and starts easier. Also haven't seen the lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 codes since. While there are several marks and indicators the engine had been out before I bought the truck like the guy told me, the intake was very carbon packed which leads me to believe it's a higher number that 30k I was told.

Last night driving home from grocery shopping after work the truck started stumbling and missing but no codes were thrown at the time. No power on acceleration and rough idle at lights. The truck ran perfect all day and never gave any indication that something was wrong.

After limping the truck home and checking checking fluids and wires, I found that the oil was low, about 2qts, and the sparkplug wires were all still good along with the other wires for sensors, etc looking good. Added oil to full mark, oil change is this week anyways, and tried to use torque to watch things with fuel trim and misfires.

Also tried to isolate cylinders by disconnecting sparkplug wires one at a time. Cylinders 2 and 4 were the only ones that when disconnected, the idle didn't change. Honestly it felt smoother with either of those disconnected. The map sensor in the intake was missing it's gasket when I changed the injector assembly so I purchased a new one of those and tried using o rings to seal it until the correct gasket came in so that's a known possible vacuum leak. I plan on disconnecting the battery and changing that this evening after work. After that I plan on pulling the plugs from 2 and 4 and seeing what they say. I ordered new plugs and wires from rockauto this morning just so I could change them.

Accidentally broke the temp sender last night so I ordered one of those as well. At the end of the night messing with it in the cold and dark these are the screenshots from torque. I ordered a new Bluetooth adapter yesterday that will hopefully let me use dash commander as well.

Any tips or tricks or advice would be very helpful. I'm decently handy and have done all the work myself. I know I should've done lower intake gaskets but haven't had issues before and have been pressed for time and money between college and work and a baby on the way.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seen a video where the plug for the spider injector was installed incorrectly and one of the pins were bent , was the misfire happening before? Or after ? Just trace back to what you did last. Change the coil cap and rotor and wires and plugs. You can test some parts before replacing them so you minimum cost

jaxcob

Reaction score
I seen a video where the plug for the spider injector was installed incorrectly and one of the pins were bent , was the misfire happening before? Or after ? Just trace back to what you did last. Change the coil cap and rotor and wires and plugs. You can test some parts before replacing them so you minimum cost
It wasn't happening before or after. I've had the injector system changed for 2 weeks now. I haven't done anything lately. I plan on changing wires and plugs soon as they show up which should be Monday but I'm not holding my breath.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Misfires are hard to find I had one too awhile back to it to the dealership and it magically disappeared strange. Have you done a compression test and leak down test?

jaxcob

Reaction score
Misfires are hard to find I had one too awhile back to it to the dealership and it magically disappeared strange. Have you done a compression test and leak down test?
No I have not yet. I know I need the equipment but haven't splurged on that yet. I'm hoping it's the possible vacuum leak from the map sensor gasket but I'm not convinced that it could cause that significant of a misfire and all. And I'm also concerned with the sudden loss of oil. It didn't show up in the coolant when I checked that last night and the truck's never dripped on the concrete so I'm guessing it went out the exhaust but not sure why it would be so sudden or such a large amount.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My have nothing to do with it but don't overlook the MAF. On my 97 Tahoe 5.7 Votec when the MAF starts to have an issue I get rough running, poor and stumbling acceleration, no power, can't get out of its own way, etc.
I have replaced it three times I think in 300K miles.

jaxcob

Reaction score
My have nothing to do with it but don't overlook the MAF. On my 97 Tahoe 5.7 Votec when the MAF starts to have an issue I get rough running, poor and stumbling acceleration, no power, can't get out of its own way, etc.
I have replaced it three times I think in 300K miles.
Thanks, that's something I haven't messed with yet but have looked into ways to go about testing it.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, that's something I haven't messed with yet but have looked into ways to go about testing it.
On mine the first sign was how it ran. However, I think it did eventually give a code or warning on my little tester.
It got to the point where I carry a spare with me so not to get stranded again.

jaxcob

Reaction score
On mine the first sign was how it ran. However, I think it did eventually give a code or warning on my little tester.
It got to the point where I carry a spare with me so not to get stranded again.
Is it a sudden change that progressively gets worse?

jaxcob

Reaction score
Also have cleaned the pcv valve a couple of times since I've had the truck. There is no blowby or pressure from the oil fill tube either.