Marine intake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ibanez GSA60

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 5.0 Vortec on my '96 C1500, and I'm wondering if the marine intake will even be legal in California. If any of you know, it would be much appreciated, since there's no point in wasting time and money on an upgrade that'll force my truck off the road.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Without a CARB EO it won't be, but it may still pass visual. They oftentimes have no clue what they're looking at

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The marine intake has no provisions for an EGR valve. If you run a divorced EGR you should be fine.

You must be registered for see images

You can see on the front of mine that there is no place to bolt it to.

Wardi

Reaction score
Good question!!

I'd like to hear if anybody running a marine intake on the last few years of the 5.7 vortec, like in the 1998-2000 Tahoe, and has actually passed CA smog! I'm thinking of doing a marine intake to my 383 this fall. I just had mine smogged, second time after the new 383, so I'm thinking it's time to mod!! But I think Jrgunn is right, if the truck computer is OK, and the truck passes the hydrocarbon and CO2 tests, I'm pretty sure my smog guy, who's a good guy, wouldn't really notice the marine intake. And even if he "visually" noticed a modification, if the test computer says it passed.....it passed. But I'm not sure what ECM/computer mods are need for a marine intake, if any, because I think if the vehicle ECM is moded, maybe the CA smog test computer will catch that and flunk it. That may be a CA thing. I think I've seen that a lot of folks that do that marine intake mod also do the 411 ECM mod. But I've got A LOT to learn about all this yet. This is the place!

Ibanez GSA60

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to look at a way of doing this such that it's smog legal. Also, about how much does it cost to do the swap?