MAP Sensor relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I will be tuning out EGR and eliminating all it's components I was wondering if anyone did something similar. I was thinking of making a smaller bracket for the MAP sensor since the bulky egr bracket will be removed. Any pics of such a mod? Help spur my creativity... so to speak

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1993-1995 the MAP sits on its own little bracket at the passenger rear corner of the intake. Actually I was thinking this was the setup for most years as that larger bracket with the EGR solenoid is also shared by the ESC module from earlier years; the module was done away with later when that function was integrated into the PCM. Memory fuzzy though on those earlier year MAP brackets.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've got an '89 and it's MAP sensor lives on the bracket with the ESC module, looks to be the same job that's the left of the TB in your pic.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is there ( as in pic 1 above) That bracket is going away. I was thinking I'd shrink it and jump on hole within the limitations of the wire and fab a bracket. Was hoping someone had done this already.

I'll post a pic when I get it doen. I'm still wrestling a bracket disaster. Some idiot chevrolet dealer sent me a steel bracket eventhough their pic indicated a alum. one... then had the balls to argue with me...lol. so now I have two brackets, im sending one back of course or both.. YTBD

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so thanks for the reminder that the early bracket is indeed the same. And it's too big? To each his own, I guess! Maybe just screw the sensor to the firewall and skip the bracket altogether? You might be able to hide it under the convenience center cover.

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. I'm not sure if it's stock or not but on our '88 C3500 it's MAP sensor was fastened directly to the firewall like you mention, no bracket. It was a 454. I've never seen another one that had the MAP sensor up there and the emissions sticker on the core support indicated that it was supposed to go in roughly the same area as our '89 350 truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen some applications that were like this but could not recall them specifically. I thought my '94 3500HD 6.5TD was like this originally but other 6.5TD's seem to have it attached on the intake, so...too many trucks, too many years. And I gutted all that stuff and converted to a Vortec 7.4 anyway so none of my old pics are useful there. ;)

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. I'm not sure if it's stock or not but on our '88 C3500 it's MAP sensor was fastened directly to the firewall like you mention, no bracket. It was a 454. I've never seen another one that had the MAP sensor up there and the emissions sticker on the core support indicated that it was supposed to go in roughly the same area as our '89 350 truck.

CCC Q-Jet vans and trucks had a MAP sensor screwed directly to the firewall and a metal cover on them. 87 Firebird had the same one. I TPI swapped the 87 Firebird using the stock MAP sensor mounting and cover.

TBI F-cars had a metal bracket bolted to the firewall as well.

TBI boats have some interesting MAP brackets too.

Reaction score
I relocated mine using the original bracket and just bolted it to the passenger fender. although it now holds up a FPR.