Maintaining a NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot find much info on the maintenance of the NV3500, no parts stores can tell me what fluid it needs, GM has the stuff but it's $30/litre I'll need two

My truck is a 1995 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 4x4 with the NV3500 5 speed

Couple questions would be:

Is there an alternative to the GM synchromesh fluid that I can use without grenading my tranny?

Is there something I can use instead of the stock drain plugs, they are both 17mm hex head, I'm afraid of stripping them I've had bad luck with hex heads

What kind of timeline should I be doing to maintain the tranny?

What's the best replacement clutch?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!!

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid to strip those plugs on there. I don't see how its possible. You would end up stripping the threads on the case first. They don't need to be that tight. GM synchromesh is the only fluid Ill ever use in a manual transmission. Its that good. But if you need something cheap, dexron III to better would work. I just put a stock AC Delco clutch in my truck, and it chatters like crazy. I can't stand it. I'm gonna end up putting something else in there soon.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I've seen a couple names of aftermarket clutches thrown around, I'd like a good quality one, I'll have to keep looking

Good to know about that syncromesh, I'll definitely be buying it, I'm hoping the fluid will be around for a while

I am correct about the drain and fill being a 17mm hex head though? I have to buy a set of hex heads, I measure the plugs with my micrometer to get the 17mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The plugs use a 17mm. IIRC, the capacity is 2.8 quarts.
Loosen the fill plug before the drain plug. That way, if the fill plug is so stuck that you can't get it out, you're not sitting there with an empty trans that you can't fill.
Alternatively, you could remove the shift tower & fill it through there.
The NV3500 is an aluminum case so using a torque wrench is important when you replace the plugs.
Cut about 2" off of the end of a 17mm hex. Then you can slide a 17mm socket over that cut hex & use your torque wrench when you install them. Sears also sells a socket hex set in 15mm, 17mm & 19mm. Around $20.00?
You can use some silicone Permatex RTV or #2 Permatex to help seal them against weeping.
Use GM Syncromech trans fluid. Part # (US) 12377916. (Canada) 10953465
Some Moly-Lube will help make the shifts smoother.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's moly lube? Lol

I bought a hex head set today, so I'm good now

Use silicone on the drain plug after its installed?

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the stuff you want.

Sent from my iPhone

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I took the other stuff back and told them I wanted syncromesh, it's $12 a bottle instead of 30 thank god