LT4 hot cam and 1.6 ratio rocker arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishy

Reaction score
i swapped from a 4.3L v6 to a 5.7L v8 about a month ago and now im looking at cam options. there seems to be alot of back and forth on line about weather the valve guides need to be machined or not. i was wondering if any one on here that is running this combo and if there was any machining involved. thanks in advance for any info on the subject

sorry forgot to put in that it is a 98 k1500 with the motor coming out of a 97 k1500

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to machine the valves guides if you use GM LT4 Hotcam and the GM 1.6 rockers (.525/.525 lift).

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
^^Wrong. Machining not required. Alexsparts kit or comp beehives and trick retainers.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a zz4 crate engine and recently installed the lt4 hot cam and 1.6 rockers. No machining was required.

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^Wrong. Machining not required. Alexsparts kit or comp beehives and trick retainers.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148-0208-vortec-heads-valve-lift/

This is basically what I did with the GM Hotcam kit. If there are other parts available that require no machine work I was not aware.
"The larger spring and increased lift figures require opening up the spring-seat diameter of the cylinder head and machining down the valve guide and valve-guide boss to clear the retainer."

Last edited:

MilkeyJake

Reaction score
So if you buy the cam kit with the rocker arms an springs an all the other stuff. Can you use the springs that come with the kit with out gettin head work or do you just gotta buy the alexpart kit?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not impressed with the stock LT4 Hot Cam Springs. Not to mention that they were normally used with light weight valves. I, personally, went with the Alex's ones.