LS SWAP IN CALIFORNIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tadow

Reaction score
I have a 93 C1500. Has any one done an LS swap in CA, if so what are the requirements to pass emissions? Also what is the best LS to swap in?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have posted this in the LSx + Carb Swap sub-forum. Perhaps a moderator will move this thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/forums/lsx-carb-swaps.14/

Wild Guess: Figure out what model year the donor engine is. Maintain all emissions equipment from that model year.

Pray.

Good luck.

You really should be asking CARB about this. They're the only ones who can provide "real" guidelines, as they're the ones who make the rules.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet setup. Probably costs a pretty penny though.
I'm sure it does. When I lived in Cali we had a "friendly" smog guy we brought our cars to.
I'd say it's not gonna be easy or cheap to do legally.
Wonder what happens if you brought a vehicle in from out of state which had been engine swapped but you "didn't know"?

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure it does. When I lived in Cali we had a "friendly" smog guy we brought our cars to.
I'd say it's not gonna be easy or cheap to do legally.
Wonder what happens if you brought a vehicle in from out of state which had been engine swapped but you "didn't know"?

Lol...shoot...I wish...

I think the only way to pull that off is if it's bought to replace a crashed or stolen ride while out of state. Or if the ride was bought while living outta state for like a year or something...

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, so as a resident you can't buy a vehicle out of state and transfer registration huh? What if a guy had two residences? Hmmmm....lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is if it's from a newer vehicle and you maintain ALL of its smog equipment you're good to go. Best bet is to get a donor vehicle as the junkyard won't sell you cats.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is if it's from a newer vehicle and you maintain ALL of its smog equipment you're good to go. Best bet is to get a donor vehicle as the junkyard won't sell you cats.

I have been researching this for years for various swaps all the back since the infancy of CA smog legal swaps from companies that pioneered this like Jags that Run. Note I said smog legal swaps not just engine swaps which are obviously as old as cars.

Couple important points here, the swap not only has to be from the same year or newer vehicle but it also has to be the same type for example passenger car to passenger car or light duty truck to light duty truck etc. Also, since these drivetrains and systems are certified as complete assemblies that would be from the air box to the cats which obviously creates problems trying to fit a modern 1500 or Tahoe LS airbox assembly into an OBS engine bay. Not saying it can't be done but I've yet to see one. You then have to get your install certified by a smog referee. The other option is the E-rod which someone posted. The cheapest I have seen an LS3 e-rod is $9,100. The LT1 and LT4 are obviously much more.

I know of someone who owned a shop that was doing the "gray area" smog checks that everyone seems to think is the way to go. Carb has investigators that do spot checks and if they find a violator they will often flip the shop and then all the customers who think they're being slick. The test should be whether the tailpipe is clean but that's not the way they view it.

And for those of you in other states who think California and these other places with restrictive laws are their problem guess what, you are all soon to be next via the EPA and the Feds. If you follow SEMA and their action network the regulatory agencies believe they can prohibit you from converting your own personally owned car into a race vehicle. That is just the beginning of what they have planned for gas engines.