Loud Whine from Transmission Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Besides junkyards, you can try looking at Marketplace ads or even Craigslist. I know a lot of people around me part these trucks out. Then you can talk to them face to face about how the transmission is. Still no guarantee that it will be ok but you have a better chance.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the thing. Up until literally this past March, we took it to a local mechanic who we thought was reputable, but as things like this kept happening, I began to doubt him, and after months of it basically not running well (hard starting, stalling, rough idle), I took it to a dealer in another town, and the mechanic there told me what was wrong with it (bad ignition coil+distributor, bad fuel injectors, bad radiator hoses, bad water pump... basically, everything that makes the engine run), I lost it, because the jerk mechanic kept telling me that he had fixed all these things (as I payed him probably $6-7k over the past 3-1/2 years), when, in fact, none of it was fixed at all, and I was driving a ticking time bomb! Needless to say, I'm no longer a customer of his.

So, it occurred to me today that something underhanded he did might've led to this, like maybe doing a half-baked job on the transmission cooler (which the dealer and I overlooked, since the transmission fluid looked good and it didn't show any signs of trouble). Is it possible the cooler got clogged, causing fluid to not flow properly?

So, basically, I bought the truck for $8,000 in 2017, put probably another $8k of work into it since then, and now I need a new transmission, so that's probably another $5,000 for a truck that's probably worth only that much at best.

c
That's why I fix my Tahoe myself - who else can you trust. Learn it. Silly to consider selling a big block truck, spend labor savings on tools.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For
Besides junkyards, you can try looking at Marketplace ads or even Craigslist. I know a lot of people around me part these trucks out. Then you can talk to them face to face about how the transmission is. Still no guarantee that it will be ok but you have a better chance.
For sure on that met a guy walking the dog got a 95 burb in back. But it's a vibe. You ain't got it you won't get it.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why I fix my Tahoe myself - who else can you trust. Learn it. Silly to consider selling a big block truck, spend labor savings on tools.
I fully intend to start learning, because I'm tired of paying out more money in labor alone than the truck is probably worth (though for trucks, particularly big block, 3/4 ton ones, the question of value seems to be more subjective and flexible than it does for passenger cars).

Speaking of, I heard from the shop on Monday, and the transmission is definitely 100% shot (among other things, the internal shifters seized up, so all gear positions are 'D', even P, R and N). The speculation is that the transmission cooler failed, so I'n getting a new one of those too. $5600!!

The next time anything happens, like, say, a blown engine or differential (and hopefully it'll be a LONG time), I'm gonna learn to fix it myself!

But for now, given my lack of tools, space and so on, plus the exorbitant cost of new trucks and the general unavailability of decent used ones in my area, I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay this time around.

c

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$5,600?! Yikes!

Is that for a brand new tranmission+ installation? I don't what they go for new.

A rebuild cost is no more than around the $2500 mark around here.

Maybe it's a regional thing?

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
About 3 months ago, my rear end went out. I rebuilt it my self. Put in new ring and pinion gears, (373) an Eaton truetrac and all new bearings and seals. That cost $1100. Then a week and a 1/2 later, I blew up the transmission. I had it rebuilt all HD and performance parts. That was $2800, with tax, and they did all the work. Removal of trans, flush out lines, new torque converter, ECT, and gave me a 24 month 24,000 mile warranty. Well they had the trans tweaked up so much that 2 weeks ago, I blew it up again. Trans shop even had to replace the case this time. All new parts inside, and again all HD, with Corvette servos. This time I told them to leave out the shift kit, and leave the pressures at the factory settings. So thats what they did. So far so good. Point is, $5600 is more than twice what it should cost. Even with the shop doing everything. The first time I brought my truck in, I drove it there and handed over my keys. It was still drivable, it just lost 1st R, and OD. The second time it had now gears. The trans locked up. It had broken a lot if things inside of the transmission. Even braking the transmission housing. I had it towed there. The only thing I did, was remove the drive shaft, and tie it up out of the way so the truck would roll.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
$5,600?! Yikes!

Is that for a brand new tranmission+ installation? I don't what they go for new.

I'm thinking a CA thing. Around here, you're not getting off much lighter than $3,000 for a rebuild. OP is this a shop shop or a trans shop?

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$5,600?! Yikes!
I know! My jaw dropped when I heard that figure!!

I believe it's for a brand new, built from scratch transmission + a brand new cooler + installation.

I don't know. It seems like here in Northern California, everything from food and water to cars and real estate (along with everything else) has gotten stupidly expensive. Things that used to cost about $2,000 (which was bad enough, but manageable) now costs at least $4,000-$5,000 or more, and it hurts. Hard.

I'm thinking a CA thing. Around here, you're not getting off much lighter than $3,000 for a rebuild.
Yeah, probably a CA thing.

OP is this a shop shop or a trans shop?
This is a regular shop, that advertised transmission repair/replace. I tried several, and they were the only shop that was able to get it fixed before next month :/

c

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's for a brand new, built from scratch transmission + a brand new cooler + installation.
The only folks providing "new" transmissions is GM--and I'm not finding any "NEW" transmissions even from them, using a quick internet search.

I think "rebuilt" is all you're going to find.

HOWEVER, contact a GM dealership or two--including dealerships with a history of selling nationwide, such as Scoggins-Dickey, Pace, etc. and find out what a new/rebuilt transmission costs for your vehicle. Then you know about how much you're being ***** for the cooler and installation.

This is a regular shop, that advertised transmission repair/replace. I tried several, and they were the only shop that was able to get it fixed before next month
The price you're being quoted is almost certainly bat-shiit crazy. There's got to be other options.

Last edited:

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fully intend to start learning, because I'm tired of paying out more money in labor alone than the truck is probably worth (though for trucks, particularly big block, 3/4 ton ones, the question of value seems to be more subjective and flexible than it does for passenger cars).

Speaking of, I heard from the shop on Monday, and the transmission is definitely 100% shot (among other things, the internal shifters seized up, so all gear positions are 'D', even P, R and N). The speculation is that the transmission cooler failed, so I'n getting a new one of those too. $5600!!

The next time anything happens, like, say, a blown engine or differential (and hopefully it'll be a LONG time), I'm gonna learn to fix it myself!

But for now, given my lack of tools, space and so on, plus the exorbitant cost of new trucks and the general unavailability of decent used ones in my area, I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay this time around.

c
It is there to do for those who have an intrepid sense of competition and if that shadetree guy can do it then I can perhaps also. Tranny.. that's a year's worth of car payments you would make otherwise. If you get a year trouble free you have a future balance to bank on. These things rival a 4runner in reliability, have more room, you can drive with that sure I got your crumple zone buddy solidity. The small block even nears a 4runner mpg.. the value is going up n up. I'm planting the attitude as more who drive means lifecycle extended play. Nothing is as cheap if it does lemon on you. Chevy parts.... Your gotta read forum issues. Get a manual. Or not. You drive a 454 so I'm jealous.