LOUD rattle when engine starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had similar sound, when we took the serpentine belt off started it no sound. Was either idler pulley or tensioner pulley. A bearing was going bad. That was us, yours sounds like it cycles rattles fast for low or idle rpm. Have you tryed a stethoscope on parts to trace noise. You've felt for rattle vibration on any parts attached to or have pulleys bearings on them? Don't loose fingers! Good luck.

Reaction score
Another vote for sounds exhaust leak related.
It very well could be
I’ve had lots of friends tell me that as well.
Just not sure what it would be.

I made sure all hoses and plugs were tight.
Unless somehow the EGR pipe is leaking somehow.
Or like someone else said, maybe the EGR valve took a **** at an inconvenient time
The rattle noise is dependent on RPM
It’ll rattle faster or slower

I’m about to head out and hook my scan tool up and see if I can make a graph like one of the previous comments implied

Reaction score
I hook up the scan tool
There wasn’t a lot I could get regarding EGR and the Crankshaft position sensor
(unless I was reading the wrong values for the different options for EGR graphs)

However I could get a recent freeze frame from the crankshaft position sensor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• 74DB9A09-8C50-4A22-9679-D3F81357FE07.jpeg
    74DB9A09-8C50-4A22-9679-D3F81357FE07.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5ADD3B1B-66CC-48BB-85A8-175F9B1B072D.jpeg
    5ADD3B1B-66CC-48BB-85A8-175F9B1B072D.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 5

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to say pull the distributor cap and look for rotor contact.. it doesn't sound like metal to me but its hard to tell from a video.... maybe the rotor is installed incorrectly or possibly not the right one?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
When I put my MPFI kit in a several years ago on my '96 vortec, I broke a little chip off that vacuum port on the upper intake that connects to the brake booster when i removed it from the manifold. I should have just took the hose off but I didn't. I couldn't find the little piece in the intake when i hunted for it, but I knew it was in there somewhere. I knew what size the chip was because I had the other half and I had an idea which cylinders. I also took a little piece of the vacuum port and burned it to see if it would consume itself quickly. Based on all that and the size of the chip, I figured it would blow itself out the exhaust valve or simply vaporize and I could remove plugs later and bore scope for it was a problem. When I fired it up, sure enough it rattled like yours but not as loud, went away after about 20 seconds. I figured it either ejected out the valve or burned but the truck runs great. I got lucky.

Reaction score
When I put my MPFI kit in a several years ago on my '96 vortec, I broke a little chip off that vacuum port on the upper intake that connects to the brake booster when i removed it from the manifold. I should have just took the hose off but I didn't. I couldn't find the little piece in the intake when i hunted for it, but I knew it was in there somewhere. I knew what size the chip was because I had the other half and I had an idea which cylinders. I also took a little piece of the vacuum port and burned it to see if it would consume itself quickly. Based on all that and the size of the chip, I figured it would blow itself out the exhaust valve or simply vaporize and I could remove plugs later and bore scope for it was a problem. When I fired it up, sure enough it rattled like yours but not as loud, went away after about 20 seconds. I figured it either ejected out the valve or burned but the truck runs great. I got lucky.
Thanks for the help, I don’t know off the top of my head if there’s a hose like that on my intake though, id have to double check.
I have hydroboost for my brakes.
No vacuum assist