Loud Noise Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
my 2 cents is this:
you have looked at everything, sprayed belt dressing, checked off the belt as "good" by looking at it.
but you still have a belt squeal.
I suggest you remove the belt, clean all of the pulleys with brake cleaner and a clean rag and replace the belt with a new one.
Putting the P/S pulley back to flush can't hurt if you use the proper tool, just don't beat on it or pry on anything.
When checking pulleys don't just spin them, wiggle up/down side/side also.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My wife's '92 350 TBI truck made a lot of noise from the pulleys when we first got it- so loud it was embarrassing. I did what other members recommended, took the belt off first & started it up- no noise. Then spun each pulley by hand and found the water pump felt a bit.. chunky, could also wiggle it around a bit. Wasn't leaking but the bearing was shot. Replaced that and it has been quiet ever since.

bhopthewelder

Reaction score
Hey Yall,

I need some help figuring out what is the source of a loud noise coming from my engine. To give a short background, my truck (daily driver) has sat for almost 4 months. I was gone on a deployment and got back a couple days ago. I noticed that whenever I hit the accelerator there is a loud noise that gets faster as I hit the accelerator and accelerate. I figured it had to be a pulley or the belt, but the belt is fine from what I know. No cracks or anything like that. I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley but have had no change in the sound. I even had a spare belt I keep just in case and changed it to that but the sound persists. Then I out some belt lubricant stuff since I thought maybe the dust and grime build up of just sitting has caused the noise, it helped for only a short time and the noise came back. I took the belt off and revved it and I have no noise coming from the truck, so it has to be a pulley or the belt. I also spun each pulley without the belt and didnt hear anything. Need some help figuring this out cause im at a loss. Its a 1997 chevy silverado c1500 5.7 V8. Any advice would be great as to where I need to turn to next. Thanks
Try grabbing onto the pulleys 1 at a time. Pull them up, down, and side to side. If the bearing is bad you will likely see and feel it move. Also check for abnormally high levels of heat from accessories. That is how I check them and it does work.