Looking for some help on my 99 Tahoe sound system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following is based on outdated stereo information from when I was a teenager, so if one of you up-to-date audiophiles wants to chime in, please do.

There's not a lot of reason to run multiple subs. Bass is omni-directional, so it's hard to tell which direction it's coming from. That's why amps usually have an option to run bridged. A single 10" is better than two 8"s, and can use a smaller amp. In my humble opinion, a single 10" sub is about perfect for most stereos. 12"s can get lower, but don't hit as hard and take more room. 8"s just don't have the lower response and can be too punchy, but are easier to fit.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The following is based on outdated stereo information from when I was a teenager, so if one of you up-to-date audiophiles wants to chime in, please do.

There's not a lot of reason to run multiple subs. Bass is omni-directional, so it's hard to tell which direction it's coming from. That's why amps usually have an option to run bridged. A single 10" is better than two 8"s, and can use a smaller amp. In my humble opinion, a single 10" sub is about perfect for most stereos. 12"s can get lower, but don't hit as hard and take more room. 8"s just don't have the lower response and can be too punchy, but are easier to fit.
I'm a big fan of 10's as well, they are tuned lower than 8s but still light enough to be punchy when necessary. As far as multiple subs go, you find the sub you like, you add more of the same sub until you have the desired amount of power. The reason they run on monoblock or bridged dual channel is because bass isn't directional as you mentioned, so there's no benefit to running dual channel from the amp, but running 2 subs can affect overall system impedance, which affects power and stability. For those who want to go to 1/2 ohm impedance, you can't do that with a single dual voice coil sub. Not that this is the application for such a thing, but true nonetheless. Tangent aside, I think you're right, one 10 will probably yield better results than two eights with the same money spent.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For 6.5s I run the ds-18 pros, they are STUPID LOUD!!! I'm about to go pick some up this weekend for my ext cab

chevyracer8262

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ifno like this is what I was looking for the reason I was thinking about the shallow mount 8" subs was because where I'm thinking of putting them only has enough room for a .3 to .35cuft enclosure without encroaching into the passanger/cargo area, I'm trying to make everything only protrude out 3/4-1" feom the face of the rear doors

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ifno like this is what I was looking for the reason I was thinking about the shallow mount 8" subs was because where I'm thinking of putting them only has enough room for a .3 to .35cuft enclosure without encroaching into the passanger/cargo area, I'm trying to make everything only protrude out 3/4-1" feom the face of the rear doors
This sub looks like it checks all your boxes. You'll need a bigger box, but one box with twice the volume will do just fine. Handles 3x the power, so you may need a larger amp, but the box should be a little cheaper freeing up budget for the amp upgrade.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SW10D2/Alpine-S-W10D2.html?tp=68872

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

78Monte

Reaction score

Dayton HO sub the 10" only requires .35 cubic feet sealed but depth is 5"+