Looking at a 1995 K2500, 6.5 Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going tomorrow to look at a 1995 Silverado K2500, with the 6.5 Turbo L65 (non-emissions), 4L80E, 4X4, etc...reg cab, long bed. He says its an LS trim, pretty sparse inside, but clean, 125K miles, cold air, everything works, no leaks, engine purrs, shifts right, etc..

Only negative is, he mentioned one small spot og what could be rust down low on one side of the cab in the back, im assuming in the corner...he said its pretty inconspicuous and it wasnt something he ever considered to be a big issue...

small rust spots...I can fix...

i know the typical L65 engine issues...PMD failure, crank failure due to dampner failure, heads cracking due to overheating, and I intend to drive it and see how it heats up...the other problems will be obvious if present.

He's asking 3900 for it...seems a bit high given the rust and reg cab, and no gooseneck hitch...and being a low trim optioned truck...

What do yall think?

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went and looked at it, started right up, no smoke, solid smooth idle, has a 4" exhaust with a 6" tip...sounds great, turbo seems fine, no loss for power.

Paint is nearly perfect, but..there are rust issues, but not bad. Needs new front fenders..the lips are rusted, and the rt side cab corner is gone. I see no other rust, anywhere..its spotless, and no dents anywhere.

He's down to 3500, I feel comfy at 3200 though, its going to be some work to get it right, then it will need a total repaint..even though the factory paint is mint..due to the rust repairs.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice truck but only you can decide if it's worth it compared to other vehicles in your area.

6.5s are great motors if treated right and receive a lot of undue flak in my opinion. Me getting better mileage in a C3500HD (loaded to the gills with firewood) over a gas pickup speaks for itself...

I can't see the truck, but if it has major rust issues I personally wouldn't pay that much for it. But I don't know where you live and my definition of "rust issues" is very very different than some on this forum who live in places that don't have close to 6 months of the year having salty slush in every crevice of the undercarriage of the truck...

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it this afternoon, He needed to drive it for a few more days to work, until he gets his other vehicle, which works because I need to sell my Dually to make room in the driveway...We agreed on 3500.

The rust is typical, cab corners are soft, and the front fenders up under the flairs is rusty..the underbody, suspension, powertrain, etc...look pristine, like...oddly pristine, as in..never taken off the highway clean.