Lookinf for 4l80e swap information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robbies95obs

Reaction score
New to this so bear with me. Iv tried this once before but it seems it didnt work. Iv asked so many people and no one can answer my question.

I have a 1995 k1500 regular cab short bed with the 350tbi and 4l60e.

I picked up a 4l80e with transfers case and converter out of a 94 k2500 suburban.

Im wanting to swap it in to my k1500.

1 what flexplate do i need? Part number?

2 what donor computee do i need or does anyone have a link on programming it your self?

3 does anyone have a link for making the wiring harness work or what i need?

4 will the front drive shaft work out of a k2500 so i can just get my rear shaft shortened?

5 what parts to i need to change the yokes/ujoints? Part numbers?

6 what do i need for shift linkage and range selector?

7 does someone have a link/info on the stand alone computer for the transmission? Pros and cons?

8 im running 373 gears and was going to put 456 in it but iv been told the trans has different gear ratios and will make the truck run higher rpms? How true is this? Im planning on pulling a car trailer with a hot rod on it so i want to know whats best to do so that can happen.. the truck is sitting on 37s right now i dont plan on ever going any bigger then that.

Selling the truck and buying a bigger one is not a option for me. The truck has been in the family to long to let it go now. And i dont want to be that guy. Id rather build it to do what i want.

Hope this works.. thanks in advance.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Use your existing flexplate.

You already have the correct computer, but you will need to either buy and adapter or desolder your old prom chip from the memcal and install an EEPROM, and flash a copy of BNKM onto it, or find a stock BNKM memcal. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?338-16156930-PCM-Information-31
Here is the adapter if you don't want to deal with soldering the chip in.
http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc-p-32.html?cPath=64
I use a TL866 Minipro programmer to actually burn the chip. Use this adapter to plug in the memcal. http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-header-p-52.html?cPath=64

This should help with the changes to the plug. http://lt1swap.com/4l60e_4l80e_harness.htm

K2500 rear shaft will work, and I think the front is long enough, mine did but it is manual which is a hair longer.

Shift cable is the same, but you need the longer rod from a 4L80E truck for the transfer case shifter.

Robbies95obs

Reaction score
Wow great information thank you very much.
And i was lucky enough for the transfer case to come with the rod already on it so there is a step closer lol

With this information i feel way more confident about this swap.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change the flexplate. The correct 6 bolt flexplate is around $40. Use one for a 95 1-ton van or truck with a 350. Get 3 more converter bolts and use all 6. If your block has the extra bolt hole for the bellhousing use the top 7th bolt too. Don't short cut it and expect to keep it reliable. GM put those extra bolts there for a reason. Even the 4.3s used the 6 bolt converter and flexplate and 7 bolt bellhousing setup.

OD ratio of a 4L80E is 0.75 vs the 4L60E at 0.70. Will increase the rpm slightly but only 2-300 @ 70 mph depending on your tire size and rear gear. It will pull noticeably better uphill in OD with the 4L80E and the same rear gears and tire size.

Robbies95obs

Reaction score
Im running 37/13.50/20s right now on the truck with 373 stock gears.

Im planning on changing the gears to 456 gears because of tire size.

So with 80e and 456 gears it sounds like it will pull even nicer?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a stock diameter higher stalling converter built for more torque multiplication to pull better against the tall 1st and 2nd gear of my 4L85E in my Express van. Night and day difference between those small diameter high performance jobs that have no torque multiplication. Had mine built by Performance Torque Converters of Texas in Kennedale, Texas. Drives about like the stock converter until you get on it hard. Has a billet front cover and upgraded lockup clutch for added durability. They nailed it. Behind my 383 making about 500 ft/lbs at 3,000 rpm it flash stalls ~2,800 rpm at WOT. It is very tight at part throttle and my trans runs cooler than it did with the stock converter. They tighten the tolerances, seal the vanes against the housing and make the fluid actually turn the turbine with more force, making more torque and less heat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im running 37/13.50/20s right now on the truck with 373 stock gears.

Im planning on changing the gears to 456 gears because of tire size.

So with 80e and 456 gears it sounds like it will pull even nicer?
I went from a 3.73 to a 5.13 gear with 31.5" tall tires. Van is 6,200 lbs empty. Huge difference in the way it pulls off the line, especially with a 6,000 lbs travel trailer behind it. With the ~525 hp 383 it pulls like a sports car off the line with the 5.13 gears and 2,800 high STR converter.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you have a reliable driveline behind that engine you will be wanting to build some more power. I experienced that first hand. Either a built up stroked small block, a mild big block or a built up 6.0L.

Even a tuned stock 8.1 would move your truck effortlessly even with 3.73 gears.

I have an 8.1 out of an 01 Express van with the 425 hp marine HO cam and headers in my 99 4 door 2wd Tahoe. 4L80E and 3.42 geared 9.5" 14-bolt. It rolls on 32" tall P305/50R20s. Cruises 70 mph at 1,800 rpm and 17-18 mpg. With the DBW it is as docile as the stock 350 at light throttle around town, but stick your foot into it and it will GO. The 8.1 does not even have to break 2,000 rpm to pull the Tahoe around with authority in normal driving. If I ever hurt the 8.1 it will be getting a PSI 8.8 short block. 540 cubic inches of big block chevy school bus or industrial engine power. They make 2 different PSI blocks. One is 9:1 and the other 10:1. Both are rated for a continuous duty at 1,000 ft/lbs of torque. I have seen a few run in 1,800 rpm generators with a turbo on propane or natural gas. That setup makes around 750 ft/lbs @ 1,800 rpm.

Last edited:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I forgot entirely about the 6 bolts for the converter. L31MaxExpress, how much did that converter set you back? That would work great in my application.

Lennyobs

Reaction score
Use your existing flexplate.

You already have the correct computer, but you will need to either buy and adapter or desolder your old prom chip from the memcal and install an EEPROM, and flash a copy of BNKM onto it, or find a stock BNKM memcal. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?338-16156930-PCM-Information-31
Here is the adapter if you don't want to deal with soldering the chip in.
http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc-p-32.html?cPath=64
I use a TL866 Minipro programmer to actually burn the chip. Use this adapter to plug in the memcal. http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-header-p-52.html?cPath=64

This should help with the changes to the plug. http://lt1swap.com/4l60e_4l80e_harness.htm

K2500 rear shaft will work, and I think the front is long enough, mine did but it is manual which is a hair longer.

Shift cable is the same, but you need the longer rod from a 4L80E truck for the transfer case shifter.

‘great info thanks! I’m doing something similar if I have the original computer that ran the 4l80 do I still need to reflash or modify pic?