long tube headers for my 99 7.4 NEED HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a set of long tube headers to my 99 7.4 454 Anyone know who makes the best fit for my 99 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 454 ???? Part #'s would be great !!!

90droptop

Reaction score
Subscribed I have been looking for a year l do not believe they make them

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt you will find long tube headers for a 454 with 4x4. That is like cramming a triangle in a circle hole after youve ben trying to shove a square in there first

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I don't know of any company making long tube for 4X4s. Besides, Long tube really only make a difference at WOT. Shorties give better performance through out the power band

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I don't know of any company making long tube for 4X4s. Besides, Long tube really only make a difference at WOT. Shorties give better performance through out the power band

Hooker headers have been fit into 4WD's. Also, the opposite is true. Shorties are just a small step up from stock manifolds, while long tubes provide much more torque throughout the entire powerband, particularly at lower RPM's. Shorties are much easier to install and are cheaper, but will mostly only improve your exhaust note.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Hooker headers have been fit into 4WD's. Also, the opposite is true. Shorties are just a small step up from stock manifolds, while long tubes provide much more torque throughout the entire powerband, particularly at lower RPM's. Shorties are much easier to install and are cheaper, but will mostly only improve your exhaust note.

Ok, did not see Hooker making a set for 4wd, but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

As for the long tube vs shorties, I never saw any low end improvement in my old 79 Monte with the long tube, only made a difference at the drags with full throttle. They sucked on the street. Plus were a nightmare to deal with when the gaskets blew out. And not very easy to install. Got pissed and through exhaust manifolds back on. Since then I went to shorties and get better throttle response between 2300 and 5000 RPMs. Over that yeah, they seem to choke out the motor. I don't drag race anymore, so it doesn't see more than 4500 RPM.

Just my experience.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Ok, did not see Hooker making a set for 4wd, but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

As for the long tube vs shorties, I never saw any low end improvement in my old 79 Monte with the long tube, only made a difference at the drags with full throttle. They sucked on the street. Plus were a nightmare to deal with when the gaskets blew out. And not very easy to install. Got pissed and through exhaust manifolds back on. Since then I went to shorties and get better throttle response between 2300 and 5000 RPMs. Over that yeah, they seem to choke out the motor. I don't drag race anymore, so it doesn't see more than 4500 RPM.

Just my experience.

x2. Long tubes were only noticeable to me on the top end (tuned ones that scavenge properly, anyways), shorties helped on the lower end, better for street or low to mid throttle driving (or mudding, or rockcrawling). As far as being a small improvement over stock...I have had several vehicles that would argue that if they could talk. Granted, there is no universal rule that covers every engine. For anything.

There's my .02.

Original poster, if you want some shorties that will bolt right in, I've got a link for you. Stainless, 1/2" flanges, and they're about $200. I've got them on my truck (the one in my sig) and all I had to do was cut a little off the trans ear (all it was for was the rock guard, I've still got mine held in with 3 bolts just fine) and shave about 1/4" off the corner of my upper control arm mount (you shouldn't have to do that since you're 4WD). I've got about 600 miles on them and they're still nice and shiny too. I bought 3 sets of headers before finding ones that fit. It sounds mean as hell with the 2.5" pipe and two chamber muffler, and I have torque for days. In fact, I really need to lay off, I already need a right side rear tire...

Last edited:

Jake 454

Reaction score
x2. Long tubes were only noticeable to me on the top end (tuned ones that scavenge properly, anyways), shorties helped on the lower end, better for street or low to mid throttle driving (or mudding, or rockcrawling). As far as being a small improvement over stock...I have had several vehicles that would argue that if they could talk. Granted, there is no universal rule that covers every engine. For anything.

There's my .02.

Original poster, if you want some shorties that will bolt right in, I've got a link for you. Stainless, 1/2" flanges, and they're about $200. I've got them on my truck (the one in my sig) and all I had to do was cut a little off the trans ear (all it was for was the rock guard, I've still got mine held in with 3 bolts just fine) and shave about 1/4" off the corner of my upper control arm mount (you shouldn't have to do that since you're 4WD). I've got about 600 miles on them and they're still nice and shiny too. I bought 3 sets of headers before finding ones that fit. It sounds mean as hell with the 2.5" pipe and two chamber muffler, and I have torque for days. In fact, I really need to lay off, I already need a right side rear tire...
Do you happen to still know the part number?